Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic School of Law  (Read 12865 times)

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mid-Atlantic School of Law
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
Yep, a major fail by the North Carolina State Bar which has jurisidiction however I suspect MASL is offshore with a bank account in Panama.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
At least one measure of the legitimacy of a JD is whether it qualifies the degree holder to take the bar exam. As far as I can tell, the MASL JD, by itself, does not permit the holder to take any state's bar exam, with the possible exception of California (and I'm not even sure about that, since they're not registered with the state bar). How can that possibly qualify as a legitimate JD?

Personally, I don't think operations such as MASL should be allowed to claim that they grant JDs. I think it misleads the public, who assumes that the holder has completed a standard, rigorous legal education. I think the same should apply for B.A./M.A./Ph.Ds. 

I looked at the website and compared it to other online programs like Taft and Concord and MASL is not even registered with the DETC (Distance Education and Training Council) in addition to not being registered with any state bar.  I'm not exactly sure how rule 46 works in DC, but will someone who completed a legal education through MASL even be accepted to an ABA approved-program for the 26 units required for the bar?  Wouldn't they have to go to an ABA law school for those credits?  I tried to google search ABA 26 unit schools, but couldn't find anything. 

A quick look at the calbar website indicates that not one person from this school has taken the California Bar Exam in the last five years even though their website states that California is one of the states in which they can take the bar.  Yet every other correspondence or distance learning school is listed on that site even if only one person per school sat for the bar.  http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Examinations/Statistics.aspx.
There is also no alumni section or information on any of their graduates, which seems a bit odd.  I only found one student in his third year that was working in VA under an attorney, and said he still needed to complete his 26 units, but doesn't say which school he was going to attend or which state he was going to take the bar.  Anyway, I've heard of a few schools like this, but does anyone know which ABA schools admit these students?    Are they only in DC maybe?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »
A previous post stated that two MASL students were admitted to Touro, an ABA law school in NY, to complete the 26 units. Even if this is true, the DC rules are open to reasonable interpretation (as Jon Levy pointed out). If I were considering writing a check to MASL, then spending tens of thousands of dollars on 26 ABA units in the hope that DC would admit me, I'd at least contact the DC bar first and ask some questions. For example, how many students have been admitted under this rule, and from which schools?

I'm not a snob when it comes to legal education, but this particular path to bar admission has a bright yellow "CAUTION" sign attached.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
I have to agree about being cuatious with this one.  A google search of the phone number shows a link to a few different businesses including a fax number belonging to a chiropractor in NC.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
SCAM.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
Tuoro law school does say, however, that graduates from other law schools may take non-matriculating courses that "may" qualify them to sit for the bar exam.  http://www.tourolaw.edu/Admissions/?pageid=194  They also said acceptance is very selective. 

oceanblue57

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
You guys make me laugh.You are snobs.Did any one of you guys graduate from a first tier law school. Did any one graduate from an ABA BRICK AND MORTAR SCHOOL.HARVARD ANY ONE MAYBE YALE ,NO WAY, I KNOW YOU HAVE NOT..TAFT CONCORD YES .Those schools do not mean any thing..Yes ALOT OF MONEY SPENT.IF ANY ONE OF YOU WERE ON law review i would love to chat.You make make beleve you are EXPERTS BY WHO..Passing a BAR FROM A NO MAME NON ABA SCHOOL SHOULD NOT MAKE YOU AND ELITESS..Get over your selfs..RON A.. BBA -MBA  PS..THESE SCHOOLS LIKE MASL EXCEPT ANY ONE AND DO NOT REQUIRE THE LSAT...

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »
You guys make me laugh.You are snobs.Did any one of you guys graduate from a first tier law school. Did any one graduate from an ABA BRICK AND MORTAR SCHOOL.HARVARD ANY ONE MAYBE YALE ,NO WAY, I KNOW YOU HAVE NOT..TAFT CONCORD YES .Those schools do not mean any thing..Yes ALOT OF MONEY SPENT.IF ANY ONE OF YOU WERE ON law review i would love to chat.You make make beleve you are EXPERTS BY WHO..Passing a BAR FROM A NO MAME NON ABA SCHOOL SHOULD NOT MAKE YOU AND ELITESS..Get over your selfs..RON A.. BBA -MBA  PS..THESE SCHOOLS LIKE MASL EXCEPT ANY ONE AND DO NOT REQUIRE THE LSAT...

Is your keyboard broken?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 08:55:58 PM »

Flame?

I graduated from a brick and mortar ABA school, not that it matters. Anyone with a third grade education should be able to spot the inherent problems with this approach to bar admission. Having been through law school and the bar exam doesn't make me an expert, but it is far more experience than you have, Ron. Can you point out one single thing that anyone here has posted which is inaccurate?

It's your life. If you think it's a good idea to spend $1500 at MASL, then an additional $30-40,000 racking up 26 ABA units in hopes of being admitted to DC under some special rule, go for it.

oceanblue57

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Con gradulations may be use have your Degree from H ARVARD ..Any way the rules states under rule 46 i can travel this route ,we will see.Right now with my busy life i can not sit in a class so we have to dis agree..RON A  BBA- MBA