Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic School of Law  (Read 14928 times)

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mid-Atlantic School of Law
« on: January 16, 2011, 04:59:30 PM »
This school is not as easy as it sounds.  It uses Gilberts outlines as textbooks.  You have to summarize and outline each book.  It took me four months to get through the Legal Research volume.  Right now I am on the Gilberts Civil Procedure volume.    As I go through the book, I download and read each case that is cited in the Gilberts volume.  I use the Google Scholar database.  The new articles I plan to write will be a digest of all the cases in each Gilberts outline.  There are over 1000 cases cited in the Civil Procedure Gilberts volume alone.  This school is essentially law school by correspondence.  As a result, I am eligible to sit for the California Bar Exam whenever I finish this time consuming educational project.  Towards the end of the program, I have to submit a final project.  My final project will be a compilation of California case facts and holdings (a type of hornbook) on domestic violence from the 1800s until 2011.  I am also studying for NALA's Certified Legal Assistant exam.  I just completed an online paralegal program that has made me eligible to sit for the exam.
Angie

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mid-Atlantic School of Law
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »
The approach Mid-Atlantic takes is different, but certainly does not seem easy!  May I ask which online paralegal program you completed?  A member of my staff is interested in attending such a program and with so many available it's difficult to know which ones are good. Good luck in your future endeavors. 

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »
http://www.blackstone.edu

It is only DETC accredited and the books are written for an audience with absolutely no knowledge of the law.  I stayed with it because it is one of the few certificate programs (best for those who already have a college degree or two (or three, in my case)) with enough hours that will make the graduate eligible to sit for the Certified Legal Assistant exam.  I recommend that anyone taking an online paralegal course makes sure that the program makes him or her eligible to sit for the CLA exam.    Many online paralegal courses are not ABA approved.  So, when the graduate starts looking for an entry level paralegal position, he/she will be competing against graduates of ABA accredited courses.  The CLA certificate will put an online graduate on the same playing field as those graduates of ABA approved programs.
Angie

anthony511

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »
I have been a student at Mid Atlantic School of Law since 2009. Prior to MASL, I attended NOVUS Law School which is a joke. I have found MASL to be a rigious program and a foundation for learning. I have five more courses before I am done. Before enrolling, I researched the school, and was able to contact the Washington DC Bar Association and found out that once I complete law school, and take 26 semester hours at an ABA accredited, and then take the bar in DC. So, my research has led me to continue with MASL and take 26 semester hours.

The only issue I have with MASL is it takes several days before someone answer my legal questions and no one return my calls. overall, I have no major complaints. I plan to finish the program in May 2011.

P.S. Instead of a final project, I completed a six month internship with a lic. attorney. This was an awesome experience. 

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »
Congratulations!  I am happy to meet a fellow student. :)
Angie

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
Thanks for the information.  The "Blackstone" option doesn't look bad for her - so long as it's DETC accredited we can provide tuition assistance.  She's not interested in changing jobs, just getting additional education to assist her where she is now, though the CLE might be a plus.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »
10-4
Angie

oceanblue57

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 04:47:15 PM »
HI, i have been reserching on line Law school JD  programs.Some one said on here if i graduate  MASL, i can sit for the Calif. bar do i need the Baby Bar/?.I do not think MASL is a approved Calif school [non ABA   school].I think the Washington DC idea of completing 26 semester hours and a MASL degree will let me sit for the Bar.I would appreciate any ideas on ways to sit for a Bar exam after completing a MASL Degree.Also i have been hearing MASL is far superior to Novus.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 01:09:38 PM »
HI, i have been reserching on line Law school JD  programs.Some one said on here if i graduate  MASL, i can sit for the Calif. bar do i need the Baby Bar/?.I do not think MASL is a approved Calif school [non ABA   school].I think the Washington DC idea of completing 26 semester hours and a MASL degree will let me sit for the Bar.I would appreciate any ideas on ways to sit for a Bar exam after completing a MASL Degree.Also i have been hearing MASL is far superior to Novus.

Mid Atlantic is a "so called" law school. It is "so called" because its degree will never be good for taking a bar exam anywhere. They appear to have no recognition from any state bar. I would place them in the same ilk as the law schools that used to advertise on matchbook covers.

The DC rule you cite states:

"(4) Law Study in Law School Not Approved by the ABA. An applicant who
graduated from a law school not approved by the American Bar Association shall be permitted to
take the bar examination only after successfully completing at least 26 semester hours of study in
the subjects tested in the bar examination in a law school that at the time of such study was
approved by the American Bar Association. All such 26 semester hours shall be earned in
courses of study, each of which is substantially concentrated on a single tested subject."

The fly in the ointment is that no ABA law school will ever admit you to take 26 units based on your attendance at a pretend law school.

oceanblue57

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
I have been doing my research and found MASL a good school for students who understands what they are getting.Not every one has the time, energy or money to go to Harvard or Princeton.Students can take the DC bar with Rule 46.There is a well know ABA LAW SCHOOL ON LONG ISLAND NY that will let you do this when you graduate MASL. Lets get off our high horse and stop bashing a true solution THAT HELPS people get what they  truely want .Ron A .MBA