Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diagnostic Test : redo it ??  (Read 624 times)

lilaPR

• View Profile
    • Email
Diagnostic Test : redo it ??
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:27:28 PM »
So I started a diagnostic test last month. I could have not chosen the worst moment possible. 

It was studying for some big school projects,when I decided to do it. This was a horrible idea.

I  did the test while I was doing other things and stopped doing it way to many times. I did not answer about 9 to 10 questions, because I was not really taking it serious and my head was elsewhere.

I threw the exam away right after , and then I realize that I should have keep it to see what were my worst part.

My score was around 145 or 146 , I'm not sure since I was tired and like I said I threw it away without reviewing it.

I don't want to waste another prep test , my questions is should I do the same preptest again ?

Because I would like to know if what I have been learning has been of any use and what are my weakness .

I have a long time to study and I don't want to waste prep material. 

TLSanders

• View Profile
    • Law School Admissions Consulting
    • Email
Re: Diagnostic Test : redo it ??
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »
What would your motivation for retaking the test be?  To find out if you'd score better?  To practice the things that you didn't effectively practice when you took i the first time?  Some other reason?

The right solution depends on the problem you're trying to solve, which isn't entirely clear to me.
Tiffany Sanders, J.D.
Law School Admissions Consulting and Personal Statement Review
http://law-school-admissions-consulting.net
TLSandersConsulting@gmail.com
630-229-1439

lilaPR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:27:17 PM »
I want to do it again to 1) answer the whole test and be focus on it , 2) be able to know what are my worst parts.

I don't feel like the first one was a correct assessment, plus I need to know what I'm doing wrong in order to fix it.

TLSanders

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:27:01 AM »
That makes sense, and # 1 can be accomplished by retaking the same test (if the goal is the testing experience and practice, endurance building, etc.)  It's unlikely, though, that you'll get a valid reading on where you need improvement by retaking a test that you've seen before.  If your goal is a true diagnostic testing experience, using a fresh test would be very preferable.  I know that you are concerned about using up materials, but getting an accurate diagnostic (in terms of strengths and weaknesses, not scoring) is an important part of your prep--given the circumstances you're in, I think it would be worth your while to use another test to get a valid read on where you stand.
Tiffany Sanders, J.D.
630-229-1439

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:35:33 AM »
I agree with TLSanders, if the goal is to get a reasonably accurate read on your strength and weakness then you should use a test that you have not seen.

Keep the test that you originally took nearby, you can use it later on when you are going over problem types and looking for tools to resolve given types of problems and the like.

lilaPR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »
Thanks for the answer , since I have such a long time to prep. I was really concern on  making sure I don't run out of material.

Even if I have around 45 preptest.

I will do a new one and if I run out ,theres still a couple of new test I don't have and by that time I could reuse the others. I doubt I can remember the questions for 45 tests.

TLSanders

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:49:06 PM »
When are you taking the test?
Tiffany Sanders, J.D.
630-229-1439

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:52:07 AM »
I don't want to waste another prep test , my questions is should I do the same preptest again ?

1. There's no such thing as "wasting" a preptest unless you throw it away.  They're meant to be used, so use them.
2. It is never a bad thing to redo a preptest.  If you haven't done it 3 times you haven't done it.