Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY Bar with an Arrest - Will they tell my references?  (Read 445 times)

ElliottStabler

• View Profile
NY Bar with an Arrest - Will they tell my references?
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:53:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm a new poster - not sure if this subject has been discussed before but it didnt seem like I could search the forums. Apologies if you've already read this.

I'm preparing to graduate in a few months and then sit for the New York bar exams. I have a skeleton in my closet. A few years ago, before law school, I was arrested for a substance related issue, but fortunately the charges were completely dropped. I have no criminal record. I'm prepared to be fully honest and disclose the whole thing to the Board of Examiners, which I know is my obligation.

Here's my question though - I didn't realize previously that there were requirements to get all these references from legal employers. The referees are required to respond to questions about if they know any reason why I should not be admitted to the bar. I have never told any of my bosses about this issue and I feel like doing so would be career suicide.

My question is - will the NY Board of Examiners call my references? Will they do any kind of investigation? I can pretty much kiss any legal opportunities with the same employers goodbye if they do...

Advice appreciated...

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: NY Bar with an Arrest - Will they tell my references?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
I doubt they would call your references about the issue unless they were implicated in the incident. Your employers just fill out a form that asks them to to state what your duties were with them and whether you possess good moral character. Why would the C&F folk expect them to have knowledge about and an arrest?

That said I don't have any specific knowledge about the issue. My only experience with NY C&F is my own application. It might be worth talking to your school about the issue. I know my school had a designated "go to" person if you had a potential C&F issue.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?