Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.0 GPA 157 LSAT  (Read 3108 times)

mk917

• View Profile
3.0 GPA 157 LSAT
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »
What school can I realistically apply to (meaning a good chance of getting into) in the midwest/east coast region? I want to know which decent schools I actually have a shot of getting accepted at (no cooley please).

3.0 GPA English/Poli Sci minor-- Worked 40+hours a week during undergrad  :-\
157 LSAT score

Also, I have a letter of recommendation from a distinguished professor at my undergradute university. The second will either be from my employer of 7 years or from a local congressman I have volunteered for... which letter would be most helpful?

I appreciate any/all responses :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3.0 GPA 157 LSAT
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
Check out lawschoolnumbers.com there really is no better site to find out what your likely chances of admission are. I would say with those numbers you would get a pretty substantial scholarship in the neighborhood of 16,000-25,000 a year from tier 4 schools. However, you will have to maintain a certain GPA at those schools and maintaing a 3.0 in law school is nothing like it is in undergrad. You may have a shot at some lower tier 2's, but if I was you I would take scholarship money unless there is a location you really want to live in. You may also look at state schools that have CHEAP tuition I know Florida State or FIU are great opitions if you happen to live in Florida. Sadly working 40 hours a week and LOR's mean very little. Schools care about impressing the rankings, which when you get to law school you will realize have no merit unless you go to an ELITE school. There are roughly 25 Excellent schools you can pay 80k a year more to go to the 82nd best school or pay half the cost to attend the 115th. Remember the rankings move every year, because they quite literally are based on nothing.  Bar passage makes up 2% of a school's ranking. 60% of the ranking is based on judges from across the country marking a scantron of Excellent, Very Good, Good, or Marginal. Remember Judges are people and I imagine a judge in Nebraska has never dealt with someone from FIU, but what box they check with almost no knowledge seems to have an effect on U.S. News, which is a private and unregulated opinion magazine. 20% of the ranking is based on employment, but working at McDonald's counts as employment for U.S. News high standards.

Lawschooltransparency.com is a much better site to use to get some kind of idea of what graduates career prospects are. It lists salaries for graduates and goes much more in depth and I would recommend checking it out for schools you are considering. Well good luck to you.

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »
this is a good site as well
http://www.studentdoc.com/lsat-scores.html

Good Luck

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:03:20 PM »
These are totally irrelevant.  My numbers were not far off of these and I had a letter from the Speaker of the House and a law firm partner.

2 things matter - GPA and LSAT, that simple.

Worked 40+hours a week during undergrad  :-\
Also, I have a letter of recommendation from a distinguished professor at my undergradute university. The second will either be from my employer of 7 years or from a local congressman I have volunteered for... which letter would be most helpful?