Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bay Area Private LSAT Tutor Recommendation  (Read 958 times)

juca

• View Profile
Bay Area Private LSAT Tutor Recommendation
« on: January 11, 2011, 11:29:33 AM »
I took the LSAT in december after 7weeks of studying through a prep course and then canceled my score. I am in the north bay and would very much like a private tutor. If not a private tutor does anyone have any alternative methods for preparing? I have not heard the promising things about kaplan/ princeton review/ etc.....

Graeme

• View Profile
    • lsat prep 180
    • Email
Re: Bay Area Private LSAT Tutor Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »
I sent you a PM.  For anyone looking to hire a tutor, I'll repeat the advice I gave:

"I recommend answering a few tutor ads on Craigslist.  Any tutor confident in their ability to help you should at the least offer to chat on the phone with you, or some sort of moneyback guarantee after the first lesson if you don't find it useful.  Quality varies greatly between tutors, so I recommend talking to a few of them.  Ask about their teaching philosopy, or ask them to explain a question you found confusion, check what concepts they'll teach you.  At a bare minimum they should be able to teach you the skills I mentioned in the post above.  "   

Also, take a look at rates in your local area.  Most tutors will come down on price a bit if you can cite an alternative which charges less.  Score is important, but it's not the only thing.  They should be able to understand why you're NOT understanding, and explain things in a way which makes it "click" for you.
lsatprep180.com - free half hour LSAT lesson

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
Re: Bay Area Private LSAT Tutor Recommendation
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
I sent you a PM.  For anyone looking to hire a tutor, I'll repeat the advice I gave:

"I recommend answering a few tutor ads on Craigslist.  Any tutor confident in their ability to help you should at the least offer to chat on the phone with you, or some sort of moneyback guarantee after the first lesson if you don't find it useful.  Quality varies greatly between tutors, so I recommend talking to a few of them.  Ask about their teaching philosopy, or ask them to explain a question you found confusion, check what concepts they'll teach you.  At a bare minimum they should be able to teach you the skills I mentioned in the post above.  "   

Also, take a look at rates in your local area.  Most tutors will come down on price a bit if you can cite an alternative which charges less.  Score is important, but it's not the only thing.  They should be able to understand why you're NOT understanding, and explain things in a way which makes it "click" for you.

I 2nd this advice, especially the part about requesting a free trial session/consultation in order to screen potential tutors before making a commitment and handing over $$$.

Any good tutor should be willing and able to spend an hour or so on the phone with you to assess your situation and needs as well as to give you some free tutoring time to prove they know their stuff and can help you.  I always give a free no obligation hour or more consultation to students interested in hiring me as a tutor.