Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Good GPA, Excellent Personal Statement, but low LSAT score..  (Read 6077 times)

ReywaL2011

• View Profile
Good GPA, Excellent Personal Statement, but low LSAT score..
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:53:05 PM »
Should I apply to an ivy league law school such as Columbia or Cornell with a an LSAT score of 140 but 3.2 GPA and a great personal statement? For that matter, do I have a chance with other law schools such as NYU, Temple, etc? 

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Good GPA, Excellent Personal Statement, but low LSAT score..
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »
You can apply, I'm sure they'll appreciate they fee. As a rule of thumb, with those numbers you won't have much of a shot at any law school most people have ever heard of.  I'd suggest re-taking the lsat.  Also, in the world of ivy schools, 3.2 isn't good. 
HLS 2010

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:24:05 PM »
A bit harsh, but 3.2 in regards to law school admission is not eye popping. It is a similar to a 6'4 basketball player a little on the short side when compared real b-ball players. Most law students were at least above average if not exceptional undergrad students and a 3.2 is solid, but there are plenty of people with much higher undergrad GPA's. Personal Statements, LOR's etc make around 1% of an admissions decision and maybe even less than that. A 140 LSAT unfortunately probably will not get it done. Maybe Appalachian or Cooley maybe. Lawschoolnumbers.com is a good site to see what type of numbers you need for each school. If 140 is the best you can do then there is the option of state bar approved schools. These are ok if you know exactly where you want to live. I would definitely retake the LSAT since you basically have nothing to lose. As I understand the majority of schools do not average your scores together.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »
Harsh, I went easy:)  It might be only not eye popping for law schools in general, but a 3.2 is downright miserable all but the end of the story for ivy schools.  A 140? forget it, better chance of winning the lotto.  Right or wrong, ivy schools are picky about numbers.
HLS 2010

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
I did not see the Ivy League thing in the OP's statement. 3.2 is not to hot for an Ivy League school. 3.2 works fine for tier 2,3,4. Columbia not so much.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »
I did not see the Ivy League thing in the OP's statement. 3.2 is not to hot for an Ivy League school. 3.2 works fine for tier 2,3,4. Columbia not so much.

Hate to write it, but absent some extraordinary unmentioned favorables, BikePilot is quite correct.  And, while in public we don't like to be harsh, amongst admissions folks, see prior sentence.  (This is true even below the top schools.)

Also correct is the advice to retake the LSAT.  If law school is important, spend six months to study like, well, a law student, and see what you can do.  If your LSAT rises significantly, many committees are willing to give the benefit of the doubt, with a flawless application and strong softs.

Thane.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »
You have zero shot with a 3.2 and a 140 at anywhere in the T14.  Zero.  You barely have any shot at a T3.  If you have any desire to go to law school, retake the LSAT.

Harsh enough for ya?

Framboise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 07:36:45 PM »
Obvious troll is obvious.

khlaw

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - karenhatf@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:23:14 PM »
You can get a better idea of the GPA and LSAT scores that schools will generally accept by going to the LSAC site and entering your GPA and LSAT score under the "School Search" option.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 12:17:48 AM »
Honestly(and this is with all due respect) even Cooley won't take you right now.
Even they require a 145.

Should I apply to an ivy league law school such as Columbia or Cornell with a an LSAT score of 140 but 3.2 GPA and a great personal statement? For that matter, do I have a chance with other law schools such as NYU, Temple, etc?