Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Multiple LSATs  (Read 428 times)

red2010

• View Profile
Thoughts on Multiple LSATs
« on: January 08, 2011, 01:37:42 AM »
I took the June '10 and December '10 LSATS scoring first a 158 and then a 165. My GPA is 3.84 from a top-20 private university.

Is anybody in a similar situation with having two drastically different LSAT scores?

Does anyone have thoughts on how this improvement might help/hurt me in applying to school in the 15-25 rank range?

Thanks.

MeganEW

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Multiple LSATs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »
I saw a 15 point jump in my LSAT, and so far my decisions have lined up with my higher score.  Of course, in my case there's a 4 year gap instead of a 6 month gap, but write a concise addendum explaining the jump and apply as if you have just the 165.  The only schools I know of that average are T14; most just take the highest.
You should have a good shot at most schools in the 20-30 range assuming the usual softs.
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Multiple LSATs
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:42:23 AM »
I saw a 15 point jump in my LSAT, and so far my decisions have lined up with my higher score.  Of course, in my case there's a 4 year gap instead of a 6 month gap, but write a concise addendum explaining the jump and apply as if you have just the 165.  The only schools I know of that average are T14; most just take the highest.
You should have a good shot at most schools in the 20-30 range assuming the usual softs.

Quite right.  For reach schools, how this is addressed in your supporting documents will be key in whether they are willing to give more-than-averaging consideration to your higher score.  In many cases they are inclined to do so, but need a reasoned basis why.

Thane.