Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: need some opinions, please.  (Read 374 times)

pinkcheese

• View Profile
need some opinions, please.
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
Hi,

1. Should I still apply to law schools this cycle?
2. Should I apply to law schools at all?

I have a 3.8 from a Top 10 university, graduated 2008. Did some creative work after graduating and was hoping for a 170+, but ended up with a 163 on the December test.
I am an international student, not necessarily interested in big law firm work, so might be saddled with loans. Because I'm an international, it is imperative that I go to a T14 law school (I have been told ad nauseam).

Given that I have a 163 LSAT, and given that it is already January, should I forget about applying for Fall 2011 cycle? I understand my numbers will not be enough to get me in to any of the T14.

Thank you.

pinkcheese

• View Profile
Re: need some opinions, please.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »
Hi, thanks for the input. I just spoke to my pre-law advisor and he claims that I would be competitive at schools ranked as high up as 18 - 22. But would I really make it into those schools, given my 163 / 3.8?

I am also leaning towards re-taking the LSAT and re-applying next cycle instead of applying with the 163 LSAT this late in the cycle, but the pre-law advisor said that I should do both. His logic was that I should see whether I get "outright rejected" from certain schools or waitlisted, because one way or the other it would be telling for my second round of applying. But to me that sounds like a waste of money and energy, especially if I know I only want to go to T14 schools.

How do law schools, especially in the T14, really view LSAT retakes (with no apparent reason)? How do they really view reapplying?

The other big question on my mind is concerning age. I will be turning 29 right when I graduate, if I go to law school in Fall 2011. I've heard that law schools would count this against me (perhaps especially given that I am a woman). So if I were to delay attending law school by one more year, or even two, would that significantly impact my chances at employment with the big law firms?

(It's not helpful that the most emailed article on the NYTimes is currently "Is Law School a Losing Game?")

Thanks very much.

pinkcheese

• View Profile
Re: need some opinions, please.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »
Oh, one correction:

I will be turning 29 right when I graduate, if I go to law school in Fall 2011. I've heard that law schools would count this against me (perhaps especially given that I am a woman).

By "law schools" counting age against me, I meant to say "law firms" when hiring. But you already addressed that.

In the end, I've decided to apply to just a handful of schools (not in the T14), simply bc I have everything set to go. If I get into any schools, I will re-evaluate then, whether to go or re-apply (or forget about law school all together).

Your advice is all spot on, thanks very much!

And yes, you caught me--I think there were/are a few of us sharing this account. I hope that's okay :-)