Law School Discussion

LSAT Prep courses: study before, or no?

Re: LSAT Prep courses: study before, or no?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 07:16:43 AM »
It gives you a way to to score the answers, yes.  And a way to convert the raw score to the actual.

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »
Here's the free test from LSAC:
http://lsac.org/jd/pdfs/SamplePTJune.pdf

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »
Hmm alright so I am in a somewhat similar situation.

I am planning on taking the June Test and was preparing on my own using the PowerScore books. I've found them helpful so far but was considering taking a class.

I've already invested in the PowerScore books and all of the actual LSAT preptests. Is it worth taking a class at this point or should I stick with the method I've been working on so far?

Thanks,
Mike.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
Hmm alright so I am in a somewhat similar situation.

I am planning on taking the June Test and was preparing on my own using the PowerScore books. I've found them helpful so far but was considering taking a class.

I've already invested in the PowerScore books and all of the actual LSAT preptests. Is it worth taking a class at this point or should I stick with the method I've been working on so far?

Thanks,
Mike.

Kinda depends on what you want.  If you want a top score to get into a top university or to get a top scholarship, maybe the prep courses are worth it.

Personally, I have always done best when I can study material on my own.  The cost of the powerscore books is microscopic compared to the cost of a prep class.

If all you're trying to do is "get in" and the school isn't that tough to get into, I'd say just stick with powerscore.  (Obviously, a lot of factors here, so consider this very general guidance.)

However, if you really, really need a huge LSAT score, maybe the cost of a prep class will be worth it for you.  Heck, the difference between a half ride and full ride for one year, alone, more than justifies the cost of a prep class.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
Thanks FJ,

I don't mind spending additional money on a prep course, at all, if it will help me. At the same time, I would prefer to use (rather than not use) the PowerScore books since I have already made the investment in them.

From some of the earlier responses it sounded like mixing methods was worse than not mixing, which is what triggered my post.

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »
IMO, a prep course is almost always the way to go.  Even if it gives you a slight 1 to 2 point bump, it could mean a huge difference in the caliber of schools that accept you and the $$ offered.  Getting into that better school could mean a big difference on your first paycheck.  And, as it was pointed out,  the scholarship money you could get will more than pay for the course. 

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 01:30:53 AM »
Glad to know about these studious courses. My test date is approaching near and taking classes from Online LSAT Prep suggested by my senior. Their ability to take out the potential from students is marvelous. Have understood almost all the practice tests and sample answers. Hoping to perform the best in my real test.