Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Prep courses: study before, or no?  (Read 4325 times)

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Prep courses: study before, or no?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »
Does the LSAT exam give you a score as well?

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 09:16:43 AM »
It gives you a way to to score the answers, yes.  And a way to convert the raw score to the actual.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 12:59:47 AM »
Here's the free test from LSAC:
http://lsac.org/jd/pdfs/SamplePTJune.pdf

FearAndLoathing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »
Hmm alright so I am in a somewhat similar situation.

I am planning on taking the June Test and was preparing on my own using the PowerScore books. I've found them helpful so far but was considering taking a class.

I've already invested in the PowerScore books and all of the actual LSAT preptests. Is it worth taking a class at this point or should I stick with the method I've been working on so far?

Thanks,
Mike.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 05:41:55 PM »
Hmm alright so I am in a somewhat similar situation.

I am planning on taking the June Test and was preparing on my own using the PowerScore books. I've found them helpful so far but was considering taking a class.

I've already invested in the PowerScore books and all of the actual LSAT preptests. Is it worth taking a class at this point or should I stick with the method I've been working on so far?

Thanks,
Mike.

Kinda depends on what you want.  If you want a top score to get into a top university or to get a top scholarship, maybe the prep courses are worth it.

Personally, I have always done best when I can study material on my own.  The cost of the powerscore books is microscopic compared to the cost of a prep class.

If all you're trying to do is "get in" and the school isn't that tough to get into, I'd say just stick with powerscore.  (Obviously, a lot of factors here, so consider this very general guidance.)

However, if you really, really need a huge LSAT score, maybe the cost of a prep class will be worth it for you.  Heck, the difference between a half ride and full ride for one year, alone, more than justifies the cost of a prep class.

FearAndLoathing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
Thanks FJ,

I don't mind spending additional money on a prep course, at all, if it will help me. At the same time, I would prefer to use (rather than not use) the PowerScore books since I have already made the investment in them.

From some of the earlier responses it sounded like mixing methods was worse than not mixing, which is what triggered my post.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
IMO, a prep course is almost always the way to go.  Even if it gives you a slight 1 to 2 point bump, it could mean a huge difference in the caliber of schools that accept you and the $$ offered.  Getting into that better school could mean a big difference on your first paycheck.  And, as it was pointed out,  the scholarship money you could get will more than pay for the course.