Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is an Online degree useful for law school?  (Read 11685 times)

tito_99

• View Profile
Re: Is an Online degree useful for law school?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 12:48:08 PM »
I think law school admissions departments know a prune from a plum, APUS may be accredited but like other online schools does not have a good reputation in general owing to low admission standards and lax grading for retention purposes. An APUS graduate could have a rough time getting admitted at a better law school.

I did my research and found out that 2 A.P.U.S. alumni were admitted to University of Michigan Law School. One is currently attending there, the other is practicing law at a big law firm in Houston. 

Like everyone on here has it, it all depends on your GPA, LSAT scores, and the school being Regionally accredited.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
No one wants to admit it (Including me- I went to a prestigious undergrad :)), but undergrad doesn't carry the same weight it used to.  You should be fine- if APUS grads got into U of MI, then top schools are in reach for you.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

tito_99

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »
Hi tito,

I took the LSAT twice.  My first score was well, awful, and pitted me at terrible fourth tier schools as my options.  Some schools no one should go to.  There are schools that have less than %50 employment numbers.  Less than half their grads can find a job, that's messed up and many of these schools should close their doors out of basic human decency. My second score was much better and landed me many more better options.  I got lucky because most schools don't average multiple scores anymore. It was hard for me to wrap my head around how important this stupid f.ing test is.  The LSAT, almost exclusively, can make you or break you.  In a way its good for you because it makes your online degree, and all undergrad degrees for that matter, nearly meaningless.

Powerscore has great prep books.  Master the LSAT is good too.  An understanding of logic and a bunch of prep tests do wonders.  I took a Kaplan course- utter waste of money.  The prep books are much better.  I didn't like Kaplan or Prinston, but I have talk to at least one person who like the former, no one who liked the latter. Good luck buddy.

Hi Fortook,

How's your law school applications going so far? 

How many law schools are you aiming at applying to?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »
Both employers and law schools would rank an online Bachelors quite low - at the bottom. Sure the degree is accredited but unless the student has something else to offer like a great work or military background, I would be wary of someone who didn't want the hassle of showing up for classes. And I'd have to say some of the for profit online schools may be more interested in retaining students than tough academic standards.

cooley3L

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »
Regional is Regional. They don't care if online or not. Just GPA and LSAT.

If DETC, then your odds are lower. I have known people to get into law school with DETC undergrad though.

If non-accredited/state-approved only, then you best apply in that state (and good luck).

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
Hard to imagine anyone with such spotty credentials passing law school..

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

cooley3L

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »
this coming from the online grad/online law prof?  ???
You made it.

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 12:35:56 AM »
The reality is this, online education is not what it used to be. Many individuals who would never have considered online education are now changing their perception as it becomes more acceptable. Although I've never attended APU, they are considered a very good online university. Granted they are not an ivy league university, but they are no less creditable than your run of the mill state college.

Earning an online degree requires more maturity, dedication, and time management than most B&M universities with more of a traditional structure where students are forced to attend class or they fail. This discipline could be very adventitious and transition well into law school. Take into consideration that in some law related circles, where you went to school really matters; but that pertains to where you went to law school and not where you went for undergraduate.

A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran