Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is an Online degree useful for law school?  (Read 11707 times)

tito_99

• View Profile
Re: Is an Online degree useful for law school?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »
haus, that's kool buddy.  I was more intending to hint, nicely, to the OP that he has a ton of research to do.  Saying you want to apply to all 4-tier schools from Yale to Columbia (or whatever top 14 school he mentioned) shows a serious miss/dissunderstanding of the system.  6 schools is normal, but to apply to say 50 is $5000 in fees and somewhat aimless.  Granted $5000 is chump change considering the overall cost, but still not many of us have $5000 in disposable income lying around, hence the need for a strategy. There are schools that no one should go to based on accreditation, location, employment, cost just to name a few important factors. Why waste resources (money) applying to schools you have no intention of going to?

Fortook,

I'm actually looking into applying at Tiers I and II. I do have intentions of going into law school, depends on which ones I end up applying to and getting accepted. I will also be looking at schools who offer fee waivers for their applications, I've heard of a few folks who were lucky enough to receive fee waivers from plenty of law schools. I understand I exaggerated when I originally posted about applying into 50 schools, the maximum that I would aim to apply to would be 15. Even then, that's pushing it. Like I said, I'm looking into options, choices from the Law Schools I aim at applying to.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 10:56:50 PM »
Good luck tito. Like the rest of the posters I doubt your online degree will be a problem, that doesn't mean it is an asset though.  Have you taken the LSAT yet?  While your online degree probably won't be a problem (i.e bar), the field is still very competitive.  You'll need a killer LSAT score. Aiming Tier 1 and 2 is ambitious for everyone, including people who got their Bachelor's brick and mortar Ivy style.  I wish you well.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

tito_99

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 04:27:15 PM »
Good luck tito. Like the rest of the posters I doubt your online degree will be a problem, that doesn't mean it is an asset though.  Have you taken the LSAT yet?  While your online degree probably won't be a problem (i.e bar), the field is still very competitive.  You'll need a killer LSAT score. Aiming Tier 1 and 2 is ambitious for everyone, including people who got their Bachelor's brick and mortar Ivy style.  I wish you well.

Fortook,

I haven't taken the LSAT, yet. Have you taken it? how did you perform on it and what advise do you suggest in preparation to excel on the exam? No doubt about it that it's a very competitive field to get into, especially in this rough economy. Lately, I've been thinking of holding off on applying right after I finish college, until the economy gets better. Thank you for wishing me well on the process, it will be tough one, just like medical school.

hilda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 10:30:55 AM »
Anyone have a comment on mid-atlantic ??? ???

justanothersucker

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »
Honestly they won't care where you went. You are mentioning a "regionally accredited" online college. They will view that BETTER than if you went to a "national" physical school. It is worth mentioning though, that even Berkley will tell you they accept DETC. (I got bored one day and asked using http://www.pennfoster.edu as my theorectical school that I planned to get a BA from)

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this website and looking forward to your help and discussions. Here's my situation, I'm currently attending an online university called American Public University (not sure if any of you have heard of the school) It is part of American Public University System. It is Regionally Accredited by the North Central Association for Schools and Colleges. I'm pursuing my B.A. in History with a minor in Middle East Studies and would love to move onto to Law School, But I'm very concerned Law Schools won't take my on-line degree into consideration for Admissions.

I want to apply to all 4-tier ranking law schools from Yale, Columbia, to Whittier, University of Southern California, and University of Texas.

I need your help and advise.

Thanks.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »
Hi tito,

I took the LSAT twice.  My first score was well, awful, and pitted me at terrible fourth tier schools as my options.  Some schools no one should go to.  There are schools that have less than %50 employment numbers.  Less than half their grads can find a job, that's messed up and many of these schools should close their doors out of basic human decency. My second score was much better and landed me many more better options.  I got lucky because most schools don't average multiple scores anymore. It was hard for me to wrap my head around how important this stupid f.ing test is.  The LSAT, almost exclusively, can make you or break you.  In a way its good for you because it makes your online degree, and all undergrad degrees for that matter, nearly meaningless.

Powerscore has great prep books.  Master the LSAT is good too.  An understanding of logic and a bunch of prep tests do wonders.  I took a Kaplan course- utter waste of money.  The prep books are much better.  I didn't like Kaplan or Prinston, but I have talk to at least one person who like the former, no one who liked the latter. Good luck buddy.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 02:56:52 PM »
As long as the school is regionally accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. government the fact that the degree is online shouldn't hurt you - though as many stated, it really isn't a big plus.  Your most important factor will be the LSAT, take a prep course if you possibly can.

justanothersucker

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 12:41:20 PM »
Most online regional schools have a physical campus anyways. The degree and transcripts look the same. Unless they ask (which they won't) they won't even be able to tell the difference.

As long as the school is regionally accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. government the fact that the degree is online shouldn't hurt you - though as many stated, it really isn't a big plus.  Your most important factor will be the LSAT, take a prep course if you possibly can.

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 01:42:46 PM »
Indeed.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
I think law school admissions departments know a prune from a plum, APUS may be accredited but like other online schools does not have a good reputation in general owing to low admission standards and lax grading for retention purposes. An APUS graduate could have a rough time getting admitted at a better law school.