Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice needed!!  (Read 509 times)

reddawnn27

• View Profile
    • Email
Advice needed!!
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:06 PM »
I just graduated in May and just realized I'm interested in applying to law school asap. I plan on taking a LSAT prep course but I'm wondering if there's anything else I need to do. I have a 3.0 gpa from a top 10 school double majoring in English and Africana Studies. My extra-currics have been editor of journals on campus and creative writing projects, summer teaching Katrina victims in New Orleans as well as local tutoring in English and writing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed!!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »
I just graduated in May and just realized I'm interested in applying to law school asap...

What's the rush?  If you absolutely need to go to law school, focus on the LSAT.

reddawnn27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:12:46 AM »
Well I've been getting pressure to do post-bac classes but I'm not sure if that's necessary or not. Should I be putting all my effort into the LSAT? Just kinda wanted a 2nd opinion to see

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:59:10 AM »
Getting pressure?  From whom?  Parents?

Law school is not a place to "park" simply to quell parents or anyone else.  If they want to foot the bill, fine and dandy.  Otherwise, think long and hard about whether the law is what you want to pursue.  A JD has extremely limited application outside the actual practice of law.  If you simply want to go to grad school and are not certain about law, an MBA would be quicker and cheaper.

As others here will tell you (especially the attorneys), be VERY sure you want to pursue the law.  There are very few "Big Law" jobs out there, and many quite intelligent law school grads are scrambling to get "any" job.

The only reason (as others have said before) is if you feel determined to practice law.  I am in that boat, but still am approaching law school with a modicum of caution.

Good luck!
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
The warning bells in your ears should be deafening.  One should not "just realize" he is interested in attending law school then do it.  My advice, take at least one year, think LONG AND HARD about the decision, critically evaluate the decision, research the pros and cons of a career in law, THEN re-decide if law school is for you.  There is A LOT of downside to pursuing a career in law - excessive debt from law school, an oversupply of lawyers, record law school graduations, and an outright brutal job market are the tip of the iceberg.  A law degree is nowhere near a guaranteed job, plus, you may actually hate what lawyers do.  You have a lot of homework to do before actually committing to law and law school.  Think long and hard about it - it could be a HUGE mistake.

Other posters are right, do not go to law school as a place to park.  Law school is not simply "grad school."  Law school is a life-altering committment, it can also be a life-altering mistake.

I just graduated in May and just realized I'm interested in applying to law school asap. I plan on taking a LSAT prep course but I'm wondering if there's anything else I need to do. I have a 3.0 gpa from a top 10 school double majoring in English and Africana Studies. My extra-currics have been editor of journals on campus and creative writing projects, summer teaching Katrina victims in New Orleans as well as local tutoring in English and writing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

reddawnn27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »
thanks for all the tips! I'll take it all into consideration

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:47:32 PM »
thanks for all the tips! I'll take it all into consideration

Take this into consideration as well:
"The ABA is now making the case to persuade college students not to go to law school. "
http://www.cnbc.com/id/40863598
http://www.abanet.org/lsd/legaled/value.pdf