Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When should I apply?  (Read 270 times)

staciii

• View Profile
    • Email
When should I apply?
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:02:28 PM »
I'm currently a junior. My GPA is not so hot, around a 2.8, although now that I'm taking classes for my major I'm getting As and Bs, so I expect to see an increase soon. I took a practice LSAT and got a 150 without studying at all, and I plan on taking the next 6 months to studying for the LSAT in June, so I'm not particularly worried about that.

So my question is this: should I take a year off before law school? I'd be able to add two extra semesters of grades to my GPA, and then I would get in a year work experience before starting law school. Also, I already have loans taken out from UG, so I could pay off a chunk of that before taking out more. Is it beneficial to take a year off? Do you all think the two extra semesters, if I do well, will impact my GPA? Should I apply this cycle and just see what happens? I know applications can get pricey but I'm really set on Seattle U or U of Washington because I'd like to stay in the Seattle area.

Thanks!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: When should I apply?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »
Your GPA will be a boat anchor on your admissions profile. If you are able to bring up your GPA, it may be worth taking a year off. In general, you really want to avoid sub 3.0 GPAs for law school applications. Making mostly A's for your last year should be more than sufficient to get you above the 3.0 level. Also, you want to have the time to retake the LSAT if it doesn't go as well as you planned. There is no sense in rushing your application and going to a worse school that you otherwise might or forfeiting scholarship money you might otherwise get.

The year off could be a great opportunity to work in the legal field and learn a bit more about the profession.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?