Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: i'm a hot mess! please help!  (Read 1366 times)

musicgrl

• View Profile
i'm a hot mess! please help!
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:01:15 PM »
I'm a relatively smart junior in high school (i'm in the top quarter of my class) and recently I've made the wonderful decision of pursuing a career in law. But here's the thing: I have no idea what kind of lawyer I want to be and I'm questioning my major. I really want to be a music major because it's something that I love with a passion and I've heard through the grapevine that law schools are more prone to accept music majors, but is that true? Also, what kind of lawyer should I be if I'm shy and don't like giving oral presentations? OR should I just get over it? Thanks.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: i'm a hot mess! please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
2 big things matter to law schools.  1.  Your LSAT score and 2. Your GPA.  Everything else branches off from those.  Your major is not as important as your GPA.  SO major in something you enjoy, and you will do well in. Then prep for the LSAT, master it, and do well on the test.  Everything else will see you apart from others with your numbers

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »
I'm a relatively smart junior in high school (i'm in the top quarter of my class) and recently I've made the wonderful decision of pursuing a career in law. But here's the thing: I have no idea what kind of lawyer I want to be and I'm questioning my major. I really want to be a music major because it's something that I love with a passion and I've heard through the grapevine that law schools are more prone to accept music majors, but is that true? Also, what kind of lawyer should I be if I'm shy and don't like giving oral presentations? OR should I just get over it? Thanks.

Dear Musicgrl -

First, don't give up something you love.  Ever.  That doesn't mean you can't also pursue a career in law (or medicine, or whatever you decide).  Your career should follow your heart, not vice versa.  Moreover, even were you to get a degree in music and decide upon law, that would not negatively impact your chances--assuming you did well on the LSAT, took your music program seriously, and were otherwise dedicated in your application.  (In other fields, such as medicine, this is not true; prerequisites would necessitate either dual majors or additional undergraduate coursework.  Certainly acheivable, and, believe it or not, dual majors in, say, chemistry and music would be a strong plus.)  In law school admissions, an unusual major such as music can be a plus, but only if everything else falls into place (which it will, if that is a true desire).

To your questions as to the law itself, please do not worry about what type of law you would end up practicing.  Even those law students who go into law school with a set desire find themselves in a different field, sometimes quite different.  The same is often true of those graduating from law school.  There is absolutely no detriment to not knowing what, specifically, you would wish to practice.  There's also no real harm in not being extroverted.  The students who end up excelling in their first year of law school are often ones who take everyone else by surprise.  Beware the quiet ones!

You should continue to explore whether or not law is for you, generally.  You have plenty of time.  If you are confident over the next few years that the answer is Yes, don't let anything (or anyone) stop you . . . and still don't give up music.  = :   )

Thane.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:43:28 PM »
I've heard through the grapevine that law schools are more prone to accept music majors, but is that true?

I've never heard this before, and I doubt it's true.  Law schools generally only care about (1) your URM status, (2) your LSAT score, (3) your GPA, (4) your work experience, and (5) your major.  (The foregoing is listed from most important to least important)  The relative difficulty of your major is what schools tend to factor in; hence, I don't believe that a music major would get an admissions bump over a hard science or business major.

Do your research before choosing to go to law school.  Job prospects aren't what they used to be and schools are getting more expensive.

Also, don't worry about being shy.  There are many attorneys who rarely see the inside of a courtroom (transactional attorneys and even some litigators that are not "trial attorneys")

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
I've heard through the grapevine that law schools are more prone to accept music majors, but is that true?

I've never heard this before, and I doubt it's true.  Law schools generally only care about (1) your URM status, (2) your LSAT score, (3) your GPA, (4) your work experience, and (5) your major.  (The foregoing is listed from most important to least important) 

I would add that there is a monumental gap between the importance of the first three and the last two.  The first three probably account for close to 95% of the determination.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:40:08 PM »
My advice would be to stop worrying about it now :)  I have no idea that I was going to end up going to law school (I'm a lawyer now) when I was your age.  Just do the best you can in school, have fun, and explore your options.  If you have law school in the back of your mind, just make sure you choose a major in college you will enjoy and do your best to get good grades!

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 12:44:07 AM »
Thane is dead-on: NEVER give up on what you love and do what you want to do, do what you enjoy doing.  As they say 'if you truly love what you do, you never work a day in your life.'

Jr. in HS is early to commit to a career, unless it is a true passion.  Law school cares about GPA and LSAT score, not much else.  Pursue your love in college, if it turns out to be music - go for it.  A lot can happen in 4 years of undergrad - do not commit to pre-law, follow your heart. 

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 01:43:56 AM »
OP,

You are hearing great advice from some very knowledgeable folks.  Thane and Hamilton are both dead on: relax and go with what fires you up.  If you truly enjoy what you are doing (whatever it is), you will usually excel.

Best of luck! 
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:18:43 AM »
Major really doesn't matter - enjoy college and get a perfect GPA.  You don't need to decide what sort of law you want to practice till law school at the earliest and even then you won't be locking in at all.  I doubt that any college major is favored over any other.  I did have friends who were music majors at HLS so at the very least it doesn't seem a tremendous hindrance.
HLS 2010