Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement Help  (Read 369 times)

secretad22

• View Profile
Personal Statement Help
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:14:23 AM »
I see that there is a child board dedicated to Personal Statements, but I also see that it is not viewed by as many people as this main sub forum.

I read quite frequently to make your personal statement obviously personal and frame it into a story with themes that tie the ends together in such a way that allows the committee to enter your thoughts. I am hesitant in using that approach with a prompt such as this, or am I thinking too much about it? Does this prompt hint at a different type of statement than one of a story variety?

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Statement Help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 12:09:39 PM »
Just relax and give them a well written honest opinion. The truth is that they just want to see something(anything) that dosn't scream serial killer.
It's a formality that they barely even notice. Your main two concerns should be lsat and gpa. The only time that it really matters is if you are tied with someone else for the same open seat. Even then if your gpa/lsat was good they'd just waitlist you.

secretad22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »
I have read so many posts of people drafting and redrafting personal statements and even having professionals edit and revise them. I think I must do more than just show an anti-serial killer vibe. I appreciate your post however, and hopefully you or others can help me more on whether the admission committee wants more of a story genre opinion, as in the opinion being gathered through story, or what.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »
People posting that they keep rewriting them just proves what the WRITER wants, not the reader.
It just proves they have OCD, not that the reader cares.