Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low LSAT score.  (Read 3250 times)

BronsonDillon

• View Profile
Low LSAT score.
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »
While I was an undergrad at the University of California I decided to take the LSAT, and scored a 134. Now I'am a computer science postgraduate student at Newcastle University in England. I still want to go to law school, but don't know which schools would even look at an application with such a low score. I'am willing to take the risk with a law school that has low admission standards, work my tail off, and transfer to a better school. Any advice? I've been looking at Texas Southern University and Cooley law.

Thank you.

MAJ. Lee, Awsome.

• View Profile
Re: Low LSAT score.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »
Even schools that accept low lsat scores want at least a 145(sometimes as low as 142 if you are a URM) but below that you'd have to go to a nonaba state or online lawschool. Remember that lsat is only good for 5 years anyways, plus many lawschools let you take the higher of the two scores and the others average them out(with the oldest one gone at the lapse of 5 years from date of taking anyways)

Some people have to take a test once to get a feel for it before taking it again to do better. There is no shame in that. Just retake it and you should be fine. You may want to study first too. The lsac offers free study guides when you sign up to take the test.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
While I was an undergrad at the University of California I decided to take the LSAT, and scored a 134. Now I'am a computer science postgraduate student at Newcastle University in England. I still want to go to law school, but don't know which schools would even look at an application with such a low score. I'am willing to take the risk with a law school that has low admission standards, work my tail off, and transfer to a better school. Any advice? I've been looking at Texas Southern University and Cooley law.

Thank you.

Maj Lee offers good points.  As to transferring, that is a difficult path.  There's a book, Art of the Law School Transfer, which might help.

Taking the LSAT again is almost certainly the better path (even if you do intend to transfer).  Take a prep course, practice intensively, and in addition plan to spend the equivalent of a full semester's study/practice to ace it.   Once you have that stellar score, the earlier one will be but a bad memory.  (Note to all others:  Do the above on your first go, and save much money and headache and heartache.)

MeganEW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 07:08:18 AM »
Definitely retake.  I took the LSAT on a whim in college with very little prep (one practice test, not under test conditions).  I was cocky because I love logic games.  I didn't even bring a watch to the exam (I kinda wanna shake the 21 y/o version of myself).  I scored a 151.

3 1/2 years after that, I decided to pursue law.  So, I prepped for the LSAT, retook, and scored a 166.  Unfortunately, that 151 is still on my transcript for this one last year.  However, because the jump was so great and it has been so long since that awful 151, adcomms seem to be looking past it. 

Point of story, retake after actually preparing.  Write a nice addendum to your application on why your score jumped 20+ points (mine basically just states that the first was with very little prep), and raise your standards a little. ;)

There are some exceptions (Yale, maybe NYU), but most schools will overlook an old, low score if you have a new, high score.

Granted, I'm a 0L, but I really get the impression that it's much easier to retake the LSAT than to transfer law schools.
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »
Yep, re-take the LSAT and knock it out of the park this time.
HLS 2010