Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Doing some law-related work??  (Read 1049 times)

arcdev

• View Profile
    • Email
Doing some law-related work??
« on: December 21, 2010, 06:29:52 AM »
Hello all,

I am currently in a college and looking for some law-related work as internship or volunteering.
Is there any NGOs or other organizations that I could have internship positions? Preferably in Atlanta or somewhere near.
I do know it seems pretty tough for undergrads to have an intern in law-related positions, but I just want to have some experience with it and know more about law.

And... Have a wonderful day! :)

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: Doing some law-related work??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:11:27 PM »
In Atlanta, you should be able to do lots of things if you don't mind not getting paid.  Some of the NGOs (like Care) are pretty competitive, but try Legal Aid or emailing law firms to see if they need some help.  Some of the smaller NGOs probably could use some help as well, just look around at places you're interested in and send some emails out.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:15:58 PM »
Lots of the free clinics bring in undergrad students to helpout. Don't expect to do too much paralegal work(they normally reserve that for JD students) but you can still do the secretary and legwork for them. It might not matter on your lawschool resume very much but it will look good when you apply for a legal intership in your 2L(especially if its at the same place and they know and like you already)

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 01:45:49 AM »
Agreed.

The role you fill in the internship is not nearly as important as the exposure. 
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"