Law School Discussion

For those of you that scored 168+ on the LSAT...

For those of you that scored 168+ on the LSAT...
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
How did you prep? Did you find certain techniques more/less helpful than others? How much time (months, hours per day) did you devote to studying for the LSAT?

Thank you.

Re: For those of you that scored 168+ on the LSAT...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »
I started out prepping between 30-35 hours per week for the first two or three weeks, much of it on games since I bombed that section on my diagnostic.  After that, I slowly winded down to where I was at between 10-12 hours per week, which included taking a test per week and then going over it to understand my errors.

The biggest key, IMO, is focusing on your weaknesses while not neglecting your strengths.  This means weakest section, as well as question types.    For example, I did well on LR from the start, but the flaw questions tended to be the type I would get wrong.  Learning the common flaws helped that weakness.  Games on the other hand, I struggled with everything at the start not just a single question type.

Finally, the difference between a 170 and a 165 I think is knowing formal logic.  Some people hated selection games which I found to be easiest.  Learn to understand that all, every, none, etc equals formal logic.  It got to the point I would read Every and formal logic diagrams started appearing in my head. 

So if I am rambling, it has been a long day

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:51:38 PM »
Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:18:15 PM »
what have your practice scores been so far? Those aren't a promise of a simular score on the real exam, but a good place to start. How may practice ones have you done? What is your average score range? You can normally get a newer used one from a used book store for pretty cheap.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:15:12 PM »
First Diagnostic 151, improved to 169 in Dec.  I started studying around August and took the Testmasters online course.  It was intended for the Oct LSAT but I decided I wasn't ready, decided to wait until Dec.  From Aug - Oct I took the online course, which included 4 PTs, several practice sections, and practice problems for ~2 hrs / day, minimum of 5 days a week.  After Oct I stepped it up, and until Dec was spending 2+ hrs / day doing practice problems, PTs and sections. 

The key is to bring your books with you everywhere, so you get in the frame of mind where you can instantly snap in and out of "LSAT mode."  In between classes, during lunch breaks, while my prof was lecturing, these were all opportunities for me to pull out my books and bang out a set of 10 LR Qs. 

If you have issues with time, try doing one individual section at 35 minutes, then 34, then 33, and so on.  This is especially helpful with LG, where you can break it down even further and try and complete one game in 7:30, then 7, and so on. 

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »
thanks for the great advice!