Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.7 undergrad GPA 3.4 MS and 3.7 PhD LSAT 142  (Read 6331 times)

rbutcher2178

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2.7 undergrad GPA 3.4 MS and 3.7 PhD LSAT 142
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 04:11:28 PM »
I appreciate the advice. I have entertained the idea of becoming a patent agent, although until now I haven't given it some serious thought. Ideally, I would like to pass the patent bar and get some practical experience to test the waters. Can anyone recommend a good text to study in preparation for the bar for someone without a JD?

I meant > 150, although I am confident I can get < 150 too,  :P

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 04:39:02 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good text to study in preparation for the bar for someone without a JD?

Dunno, man.  That question is out of my league.  I'm sure someone else can chime in.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »
Did you check out the link I posted? It is just of yahoo searching "Patent bar prep" but there are a ton including Kaplan and Barbri which is the same company that most lawstudents use to prep for the regular bar and lsat.

rbutcher2178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 07:44:40 AM »
Yes, I checked out the link, thank you. I assume that most law students use either Kaplan or Barbri; I am curious if there was a bar prep that was preferred by the majority of law students. Some prep courses seemed like smoke and mirrors, and I would rather not shell out 500-3000 for a bogus course. Taking the bar without going to law school will be a challenge; I want all the resources I can get.

BTW, can anyone else search this site, evertime I try to search anything in any forum I get the error message
"You are not allowed to search for posts in this forum."
I am using IE7

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
It won't let me search either.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »
what do you mean "dont bother with" that would make them guilty of the unauthorised practice of law, a criminal offense. Being a licensed attorney does not qualify you to do IP work without the patent bar also.

Other than that, good advise.

Yes, I checked out the link, thank you. I assume that most law students use either Kaplan or Barbri; I am curious if there was a bar prep that was preferred by the majority of law students. Some prep courses seemed like smoke and mirrors, and I would rather not shell out 500-3000 for a bogus course. Taking the bar without going to law school will be a challenge; I want all the resources I can get.

Patent bar prep should not cost anywhere near $3,000.  Most folks merely order self-study books and knock it out.  It's nothing like most regular bar exams and even many IP litigators never bother with the patent bar or take it during 1L summer while in law school and do just fine.

If you are willing to wait and retake the LSAT and work as a patent agent for a while, have you considered applying to the Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) in DC?  You would be well qualified and would be paid to train as a patent examiner.  If you enjoy it, you can apply to school part time in the DC area, get tuition reimbursement and have a nice patent law related entry on your resume.  (Many PTO examiners go this route.)  They are always looking for people and you can apply online if you're serious about it.  The money is okay too, though it may take a bit to get going depending on the GS-level at which you enter.  A PhD should give you a bump even at entry-level.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 05:56:54 AM »
what do you mean "dont bother with" that would make them guilty of the unauthorised practice of law, a criminal offense. Being a licensed attorney does not qualify you to do IP work without the patent bar also.

No, you're confused.
IP litigation does NOT require you to pass the patent bar.  IP prosecution does.
There are many subsets of IP: trademark, patent, copyright, trade secret, etc.  None of them require you to take the patent bar to litigate.  Patent litigation entails enforcement of a patent.  Patent litigation can take place in any federal court, and anyone who is admitted to practice in any state may litigate patent matters.  Prosecution generally entails the creation and maintenance of a patent before the USPTO.  Practicing before the USPTO requires passage of the patent bar.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
Then every IP coursebook in every JD program in the nation lies, or you misunderstand, which do you find more plausable?

No, you're confused.
IP litigation does NOT require you to pass the patent bar.  IP prosecution does.
There are many subsets of IP: trademark, patent, copyright, trade secret, etc.  None of them require you to take the patent bar to litigate.  Patent litigation entails enforcement of a patent.  Patent litigation can take place in any federal court, and anyone who is admitted to practice in any state may litigate patent matters.  Prosecution generally entails the creation and maintenance of a patent before the USPTO.  Practicing before the USPTO requires passage of the patent bar.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 11:02:39 AM »
Tossy,

<applause>
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »
undergrad stuck in a loop, what a suprise.

"but your honor I don't have to obey the law, because the opposing party spelled something wrong"

Let me know really break this down for you, read actual caselaw. Nearly every judge who writes it spells stuff wrong and starts sentences with And or Because and spells Majuana with an H, and uses words like niggardly(blows your mind but its considered ok apparently) So keep crying about your daddies but real life isn't found at the bottom of your bottle.

Enjoy disbarment.