Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of getting into University of Michigan?  (Read 4082 times)

cvargas84

• View Profile
Re: Chances of getting into University of Michigan?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »
Ha, no. Life conditions are significantly better here and you have to work 10 times harder in Chile. Plus, we like it here, and we want to keep our family in the US for now, unless some extraordinarily good offer in Chile would come along (doubtful), we won't move back. Even with certain advantages in Chile (cheaper tuition, my father being an attorney and owning a lawfirm) I still think I'm better off career-wise here in the US.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 09:59:12 AM »
ok. I was saying to move here immediatly after getting licensed so it wouldnt be bad career wise, but its your life.
You do know that lots of US attorneys never set foot in a US classroom though right?

Ha, no. Life conditions are significantly better here and you have to work 10 times harder in Chile. Plus, we like it here, and we want to keep our family in the US for now, unless some extraordinarily good offer in Chile would come along (doubtful), we won't move back. Even with certain advantages in Chile (cheaper tuition, my father being an attorney and owning a lawfirm) I still think I'm better off career-wise here in the US.

cvargas84

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 10:01:49 AM »
I do know that. It's just a matter of logistics- for x, y, and z we choose to live here, so I have to go to LS here.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 10:26:37 AM »
If thats true why do even IVY league grads keep showing up on the news crying about how they can't find work and how college "betrayed" them?

First, find me an unemployed Yale law grad in the news.

Second, because media outlets seek out unemployed ivy grads to make a good story. "West Dakota Community College Graduate Can't Find a Job" doesn't make for a good headline. "Harvard Graduate Can't Find a Job" does. But that doesn't change the fact that 95% of HYS law grads have no trouble finding employment, while the majority of graduates from certain schools have trouble.

I was saying to move here immediatly after getting licensed so it wouldnt be bad career wise, but its your life.
You do know that lots of US attorneys never set foot in a US classroom though right?

As far as I know, only New York allows foreign grads to just take the bar without an LLM. But they have to be trained in a common law country. Chile is a civil law country. Even if you could take the bar as a Chilean attorney, the pass rate for foreign trained attorneys is somewhere around 30%.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 11:12:08 AM »
I'm not going to do the legwork for you, but yeah there was a shitload of those crybabies all over the news about the years back(albeit mostly MBA's) don't you remember that crybaby who stood out was a sign on him passing out resumes in a suit in NY for over a year before Donald Trump ended up hiring him(or some other media hungry rich guy)?

I get it, your school is Jesus and everyone else is just Magdalin gettin'did by him behind the pue, etc,etc.........

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »
Why all the negativity?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 05:01:17 PM »
I'm not going to do the legwork for you, but yeah there was a shitload of those crybabies all over the news about the years back(albeit mostly MBA's) don't you remember that crybaby who stood out was a sign on him passing out resumes in a suit in NY for over a year before Donald Trump ended up hiring him(or some other media hungry rich guy)?

I get it, your school is Jesus and everyone else is just Magdalin gettin'did by him behind the pue, etc,etc.........

I read the articles you are referring to. None of them features a Yale LAW graduate.

I never went to Yale, so I don't see why you think I am trolling for my school. I'm glad I took out loans to go to my school as opposed to taking the T2 scholarship. All I can add to this site is the benefit of my own experience.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

cvargas84

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 05:10:15 PM »
That makes sense. I've always wondered how, even with an LLM, a foreign-educated attorney could pass the bar considering the difference in legal systems and laws, while actually knowing enough to practice law.

As far as I know, only New York allows foreign grads to just take the bar without an LLM. But they have to be trained in a common law country. Chile is a civil law country. Even if you could take the bar as a Chilean attorney, the pass rate for foreign trained attorneys is somewhere around 30%.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
Good point in that reference. Thats why it confuses me how (as far as I know all) states now no longer let someone who took the California online JD take the bar in their state if they take an ABA approved LLM after it. They california online schools are better than many foreign countries in person ones, plus I think it pretty stupid how a bunch of people with peeon JD's (people who would flunk out day one of an LLM) sit in a little group in an office and go "No, that guy who has proven he is smarter than me knows less than me....." :P

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
That makes sense. I've always wondered how, even with an LLM, a foreign-educated attorney could pass the bar considering the difference in legal systems and laws, while actually knowing enough to practice law.

They probably take BarBri/Kaplan classes just like all Americans do to pass the bar
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.