Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of getting into University of Michigan?  (Read 4327 times)

cvargas84

• View Profile
Chances of getting into University of Michigan?
« on: December 19, 2010, 01:07:55 PM »
I was planning (until recently) to just apply to local schools, and do well enough to get scholarship money (possibly full ride) in at least one of the local schools. However, I may be moving to Michigan because of my husband's job in the next year or so, changing the amount of law school options I have. There is no T14 or even a Top 50 school in my area (Pittsburgh) so this is kind of an exciting possibility.

The issue is my GPA is currently 3.2. I have 67 credits so far. I'm planning on applying after the June 2011 LSAT, and I will have one more semester worth of credits, which could (if I get all A's and all 6 courses that I'm taking) push me up to 3.37 according to my calculations.

Applying to Michigan with a 3.37, is it completely out of the question? I am also considered underrepresented minority, and I would apply with binding early admission (as this is a "dream" school, so being accepted I would obviously go)

How high would my LSAT have to be? I know their 25/50/75, but considering my low GPA, I imagine it would have to be significantly higher, if this is even possible at all.

Thanks,
Carmen

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chances of getting into University of Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
Check out lawschoolnumbers.com and your questions will be answered.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:01:13 PM »
At least your smart enough now to assume what your lsat will be before taking it. I see that a lot. I'd say damn near 90% of people think they will be the top 10%.  Don't worry, none of the law school is michigan are exactly prestigous topnotch schools(although they will lie untill your ears bleed about it) Heck there is a reason why Ava Maria moved its lawschool to Florida.

Basicly if you apply, and you don't have down syndrom, you will get in.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:00:12 AM »
I think U of M will be tough, but that is not to say that you should not try.  Unfortunately, MI has an oversupply of law schools to choose from.  If you absolutely MUST go to law school and take on the debt in a very bad market with an oversupply of lawyers (not my recommendation - I would consider something productive for yourself and society) I would look at Wayne State (tuition is 50% of that of other schools and they have a decent hiring network at major MI firms) or MSU ( good network at major firms, way too expensive, but "exportable" as a Big 10 degree).  Not top tier schools, but at least graduates from those schools have a fighting chance of landing decent jobs in MI.

cvargas84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »
I'm confused. From what I thought (I could be wrong- if so please correct me), It's ok to pay full price for a T14 school, because paying it back will be easy considering you almost have a guaranteed job upon graduation, however paying full price for a Tier 3/4 school is stupid, so one should do really well to get scholarships, if one decides to go to a lower tier school.

I think U of M will be tough, but that is not to say that you should not try.  Unfortunately, MI has an oversupply of law schools to choose from.  If you absolutely MUST go to law school and take on the debt in a very bad market with an oversupply of lawyers (not my recommendation - I would consider something productive for yourself and society) I would look at Wayne State (tuition is 50% of that of other schools and they have a decent hiring network at major MI firms) or MSU ( good network at major firms, way too expensive, but "exportable" as a Big 10 degree).  Not top tier schools, but at least graduates from those schools have a fighting chance of landing decent jobs in MI.

cvargas84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:46:56 AM »
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is currently number 9 in the country. Are we talking about the same university? It's very prestigious. I agree with you about the lower schools in Michigan- Cooley advertises their own ranking, in which they are top 12 or whatever, and that is definitely crazy, but UMich is a T14.

At least your smart enough now to assume what your lsat will be before taking it. I see that a lot. I'd say damn near 90% of people think they will be the top 10%.  Don't worry, none of the law school is michigan are exactly prestigous topnotch schools(although they will lie untill your ears bleed about it) Heck there is a reason why Ava Maria moved its lawschool to Florida.

cvargas84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:50:30 AM »
And for the record- I am certainly NOT in the top 10% of LSAT scores. My initial scores are far from it. I posted this because I figured, if it's possible to get admitted at UMich with a high enough score (despite my GPA) then I would TRY to get that score on the LSAT by working even harder than I initially thought I would have to (with the score I'm getting now, I can get into 3rd/4th tier schools already, if I took the test now.) and focus on raising my score, instead of just getting above 160, as I initially wanted.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »
I'm sure you will fine, just take an lsat prep course if your worried. They can be online or in person.

As for paying $100k vs a scholarship, please don't fall for that BS, common undergrad myth that will kill you if you fall for it. t1 dosn't mean jack as far as "Guarenteed job", no such thing exists. Besides if that bothered you then don't apply at Michigan, like I tried telling you they are NOT prestigeous anyways. If you can't get into ivy league then don't waste you time with asking if debt is a good idea(it isn't) If you can't get into an IVY league lawschool, then take any scholarship you can. You won't listen and will end with a mediocure degree with a topnotch debt, but thats you life, do what you want.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »
Do you even understand what you just wrote? #9 and #90 are the same damn thing. Thats like comparing ugly to fugly, if you have to go into debt to get either, its stupid, don't be stupid.

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is currently number 9 in the country. Are we talking about the same university? It's very prestigious. I agree with you about the lower schools in Michigan- Cooley advertises their own ranking, in which they are top 12 or whatever, and that is definitely crazy, but UMich is a T14.