Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disclosing Dyslexia in Applications?  (Read 944 times)

chellanon

• View Profile
Disclosing Dyslexia in Applications?
« on: December 18, 2010, 07:43:09 PM »
I wonder if I should disclose the fact that I have been clinically diagnosed with dyslexia on my law school apps? I found out early that I have a learning difference (age 13) and so I learned to cope and pulled decent grades as an undergrad. However, I have always sucked at taking standardized tests, unless I take extra time (which I qualify for, but it has sometimes backfired in terms of getting scholarships).

I graduated in 2008 with a 3.7 undergrad GPA and a 162 LSAT score (without extra time). I was an All-American athlete in college and am currently serving in the Peace Corps for two years. I am hoping to apply to Berkeley and Stanford for 2012 admission. Any chance I can get in without disclosing my dyslexia? Or should I disclose it in order to explain my low-ish LSAT score? Thanks for your feedback!

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Disclosing Dyslexia in Applications?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »
It shouldn't hurt you any to tell them. Most lawschools give extra time on finals to those diagnosed with learning and reading disabilties and it should help you(and your gpa) if you get that edge. You did good with your lsat score but imagine how much better you could do with your legally entitled extra time? Basicly if they ask on the application then answer honestly. If they don't ask, then don't mention it right then if you don't want to but for sure mention it to student services before exams the first term to get those accomadations if your doctor says you qualify for them and will document it for you.

It may help you count as a URM under disability(not sure but you can check with each school to find out) I know that some in wheelchairs get an extra "bump" that way.

oceanblue

• View Profile
Re: Disclosing Dyslexia in Applications?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:24:26 PM »
I wouldn't.  You have a great gpa.  You can talk about all of your good qualities.  I have a disability and it hurts me when I disclose it but I live in the South and its conservative here.  You can always register with disability services once accepted to get your accomodations.