Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Renege Job Acceptance? Need Help!  (Read 910 times)

unsureillinois

• View Profile
Renege Job Acceptance? Need Help!
« on: December 14, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »
Ok, so her

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Renege Job Acceptance? Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »
on the other hand I do not want to work there and waste their investment if I don't think I could accept a position.

What would you do if you renege? Do you have another summer associate position lined up?  If not, think very carefully about what you're doing.  Doing the summer position with the firm and later rejecting their offer for permanent employment is better than having nothing at all on your resume for summer employment.

P.S. Don't worry about stringing the employer along - they can string you along for the summer and decide not to offer you permanent employment.  It's a two-way street and you owe them nothing.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Renege Job Acceptance? Need Help!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:15:58 AM »
Yea exactly what John said. They have not even offered you a full-time associate job yet and you owe them nothing. If for some strange reason you don't pass the bar or the firm simply runs out of money they won't hire you later on.  If you have the chance to make some money during the summer take it and get some experience. Plenty of people do not return where they worked for the summer. The whole point of working for a summer is to see if YOU like it. Of course they need to like you, but they can put you on the street at anytime and you can leave them at anytime. If it will work out for one summer then do it even if you have no intention of working there in the future.