Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Letters of Recommendation  (Read 1678 times)

abryant2009

• View Profile
Letters of Recommendation
« on: December 09, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
2 of the schools I'm applying to do not require any LoRs.  I'm applying to 1 school that requires 2.  My question is, how many should I get.  Should I bother with getting evaluations also?  I currently work at a law firm, would it be to forward of me to submit a LoR from one of the attorneys I work for?

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Letters of Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
Get three. An attorney one is good but I would also recommend getting an academic rec if you're still in, or not too long out of, school. Three is a safe number to have in general because sometimes you want to send them even when the school doesn't ask for it. It also gives you some flexibility as to whose you want to send.

TLSanders

• View Profile
    • Law School Admissions Consulting
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
Sort of a side note, but anyone applying to law school (especially in this competitive environment) should drop the word "optional" from his/her vocabulary. If a school invites you to submit something if you choose to do so, do so unless there is nothing useful you could submit in response to that invitation.  While a school may not require letters of recommendation, many (read: most) of your competitors will be submitting them.  In addition to the fact that they will then have positive material in their files that you don't have, they'll look like they went the extra mile while you will look like you did the bare minimum required.
Tiffany Sanders, J.D.
Law School Admissions Consulting and Personal Statement Review
http://law-school-admissions-consulting.net
TLSandersConsulting@gmail.com
630-229-1439

Sgril

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »
Optional this word is not related to the law school.Here pressure over the academic terms is high and that is not easy for the student.