Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what is considered a "good" GPA for law school?  (Read 29348 times)

cvargas84

• View Profile
what is considered a "good" GPA for law school?
« on: December 08, 2010, 09:16:23 AM »
I know it depends on where one applies, but generally speaking, which is a "good" GPA? Meaning, what is the cut-off? Anything over 3.5? 3.0?

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: what is considered a "good" GPA for law school?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »
It also depends on your LSAT score.  If you can pull down a 180 but have a 3.0 some t14 will take you http://lawschoolnumbers.com/deeptrench  http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FutureJAG  The two links posted seems UVA takes them. 

If your LSAT score is 135, a 4.0 most likley won't save you.

cvargas84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
Thanks for the links.

Unlike I'm sure most of you here, I'm not trying to get into a dream school. I want to do well enough, however, to be above the numbers most students have at the school I want to go to, in order to get a full scholarship. The 25th, Median, and 75th percentiles for GPA at this school are 3.12, 3.35, 3.61 respectively, and LSAT scores are 151 (25th), 153 (Median), 154 (75th).

I'm a Junior, Political Science Major, with a current 3.25 GPA (not the LSAC calculation, but actual school GPA.) This is without considering this semester's grades (I'm guessing all As and Bs) and next semester's, which should also be in by the time I apply. (taking LSAT in June 2011)

~Carmen

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »
If you are looking for a full scholarship, your best bet is to be above the 75 percentile in both GPA and LSAT.

It seems to be tough for you to draw your GPA up that high.  In your case, I would shoot for GPA over the median, and blow away the LSAT.  If your LSAT is above 160 and your GPA ends up around a 3.4, I would assume the school would give you a nice scholarship (not sure exactly what school it is).  If you PM me I can look it up to give you a better idea.

Jsut remember, there are probably a thousand GPAs nationwide that are 3.95 and above.  But fewer than a couple hundered LSAT scores of 179-180.  SO the higher your LSAT, the better your chance of some $$$

Jellen00

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 02:35:40 AM »
According to the University of Virginia law blog, the median grade-point average for all students at that school is a 3.3 (B+) average. To be considered a top student, the blog's writer suggests that you need at least a 3.7 (A-) average. Of course, according to the Internet Legal Research Group, all GPAs at top schools average above 3.3, so to be considered truly exceptional, you need to be close to 4.0.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:35:26 PM »
UVA's median is not 3.3.  25th percentile is 3.54.

if it pleases the court

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 10:51:24 PM »
3.25 is a generally a "good" GPA for applying to law school but it depends on where you want to go. Some law schools will grant admission solely based on LSAT scores. T20 schools would by no means will accept someone with a 3.25 GPA unless they earn a top LSAT score. It also depends on where you did your undergrad studies and whether or not you are a full time student. Political science is a common major for future law students and it will work to your advantage compared to dance or Russian studies majors.

Let's get down to Brass Tax:

If you were to have a terrific senior year and ended up with a 3.35 GPA as calculated by the Law School Admissions Council and you scored a 159 on the LSAT (80th percentile), then you options would look like this.

1. Harvard, Yale, Virgina, Stanford and all the other elite schools are obviously out of your reach even after your terrific senior year and a 159 on the LSAT.

2. Georgia, Baylor, George Mason are examples of schools and you might receive admission because you are a very competitive student.

3. Florida State, Chicago-Kent, San Diego are examples of schools that you should apply to because your credentials are good enough to get accepted.

4. The good news is your GPA is already "good" enough to apply to dozens of very respectable law schools and expect a nod given a good LSAT score.

5. Use caution when approaching the LSAT because it is an entirely different animal than undergrad midterms or the SAT but I am sure that you will be okay. 

Good luck, Carmen.

Sincerely,

James

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
Yep, totally depends on where you want to go.   Work hard, get the best GPA you can.  It'll give you more options and more $$ at those options.
HLS 2010

cvargas84

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
thanks, everyone.

Does anyone know if there is a way to calculate what my current LSAC-calculated GPA would be? A college GPA to LSAC GPA calculator?

cvargas84

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 01:18:39 PM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation. My challenge is that I'm only planning on applying to two schools in my area (as of now). I have to stay local, so my only options are University of Pittsburgh Law and Duquesne Law (the latter is my undergrad school)

3.25 is a generally a "good" GPA for applying to law school but it depends on where you want to go. Some law schools will grant admission solely based on LSAT scores. T20 schools would by no means will accept someone with a 3.25 GPA unless they earn a top LSAT score. It also depends on where you did your undergrad studies and whether or not you are a full time student. Political science is a common major for future law students and it will work to your advantage compared to dance or Russian studies majors.

Let's get down to Brass Tax:

If you were to have a terrific senior year and ended up with a 3.35 GPA as calculated by the Law School Admissions Council and you scored a 159 on the LSAT (80th percentile), then you options would look like this.

1. Harvard, Yale, Virgina, Stanford and all the other elite schools are obviously out of your reach even after your terrific senior year and a 159 on the LSAT.

2. Georgia, Baylor, George Mason are examples of schools and you might receive admission because you are a very competitive student.

3. Florida State, Chicago-Kent, San Diego are examples of schools that you should apply to because your credentials are good enough to get accepted.

4. The good news is your GPA is already "good" enough to apply to dozens of very respectable law schools and expect a nod given a good LSAT score.

5. Use caution when approaching the LSAT because it is an entirely different animal than undergrad midterms or the SAT but I am sure that you will be okay. 

Good luck, Carmen.

Sincerely,

James