Law School Discussion

Good/Bad Experiences with Barbri

Good/Bad Experiences with Barbri
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
I've heard good and bad things. I'm curious for anyone whether or not they passed or failed to rate their experiences.

Re: Good/Bad Experiences with Barbri
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:09:55 PM »
I passed, but thought barbri was quite disappointing.  Poorly organized and written materials, they totally missed what would be on the actual bar (they said don't worry about y, study for x and didn't mention z at all - the bar was mostly y and z) and poor quality lectures that were more gimmicky than substantive. Thankfully, the standards for passing are pretty low and most other takers were equally badly prepared.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
If I had to do it over again, I would buy the books and study for it myself.  I would focus mostly on the outline books and condense it all summer.  I would also do the practice problems they provided.  The class itself was a waste of money, just buy the books. 

I did pass btw, but the poster above me is VERY right about the y and z being the focus.  That is especially true for the multi-state MC. 

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:16:33 PM »
When did you guys both take it. Did the lectures help for any subject you didn't remember well from law school?

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
I took it this past summer.  Lectures seemed a waste to me regardless of prior experience with the subject.  The books generally covered the same material in a more concise manner.  If you are one for catch-phrases, bad pop-culture jokes and songs maybe they are useful.  I just wanted to learn the crap in as little time as possible.  I listened to most of the lectures at 1.5 speed and found that a great improvement.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
I am taking the bar next summer and have decided to take Kaplan... The bar is at the end of July and I am getting married at end of May, which means I have from June 4th -July 28 to study. My question is. If I choose to do the complete Kaplan program, does the program have a definite start and finish time? Can I start at beginning of June and still finish the program? If I go completely online can I watch lectures as many times as I want?
I have emailed Kaplan but have yet to recieve a response. Somebody who has done the Kaplan Complete Program online please fill me in
Thanks
Chris Flowers

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:57:50 PM »
You mention others poor study skills. Isn't the bar a minimum standard test? I thought the curve had nothing to do with it.

I passed, but thought barbri was quite disappointing.  Poorly organized and written materials, they totally missed what would be on the actual bar (they said don't worry about y, study for x and didn't mention z at all - the bar was mostly y and z) and poor quality lectures that were more gimmicky than substantive. Thankfully, the standards for passing are pretty low and most other takers were equally badly prepared.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »
interesting fact, Kaplan bought Barbri. It's the difference between shopping at Kmart or Sears now.

I am taking the bar next summer and have decided to take Kaplan... The bar is at the end of July and I am getting married at end of May, which means I have from June 4th -July 28 to study. My question is. If I choose to do the complete Kaplan program, does the program have a definite start and finish time? Can I start at beginning of June and still finish the program? If I go completely online can I watch lectures as many times as I want?
I have emailed Kaplan but have yet to recieve a response. Somebody who has done the Kaplan Complete Program online please fill me in
Thanks
Chris Flowers

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
I had a good experience with Barbri, but I used another course to supplement.  Bar exams are not curved, but if 75% take Barbri and respond to a certain question in a certain way, it is unlikely that the examiners are going to ignore the response.  In the bar exam, I would rather be with the pack than right. 

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
you think that the bar examiners would make a wrong question correct just because people marked it that way? ???

I had a good experience with Barbri, but I used another course to supplement.  Bar exams are not curved, but if 75% take Barbri and respond to a certain question in a certain way, it is unlikely that the examiners are going to ignore the response.  In the bar exam, I would rather be with the pack than right.