Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Good/Bad Experiences with Barbri  (Read 2977 times)

ionisnotme

• View Profile
Good/Bad Experiences with Barbri
« on: December 06, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »
I've heard good and bad things. I'm curious for anyone whether or not they passed or failed to rate their experiences.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Good/Bad Experiences with Barbri
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:09:55 PM »
I passed, but thought barbri was quite disappointing.  Poorly organized and written materials, they totally missed what would be on the actual bar (they said don't worry about y, study for x and didn't mention z at all - the bar was mostly y and z) and poor quality lectures that were more gimmicky than substantive. Thankfully, the standards for passing are pretty low and most other takers were equally badly prepared.
HLS 2010

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:40:09 PM »
If I had to do it over again, I would buy the books and study for it myself.  I would focus mostly on the outline books and condense it all summer.  I would also do the practice problems they provided.  The class itself was a waste of money, just buy the books. 

I did pass btw, but the poster above me is VERY right about the y and z being the focus.  That is especially true for the multi-state MC. 

ionisnotme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
When did you guys both take it. Did the lectures help for any subject you didn't remember well from law school?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
I took it this past summer.  Lectures seemed a waste to me regardless of prior experience with the subject.  The books generally covered the same material in a more concise manner.  If you are one for catch-phrases, bad pop-culture jokes and songs maybe they are useful.  I just wanted to learn the crap in as little time as possible.  I listened to most of the lectures at 1.5 speed and found that a great improvement.
HLS 2010

caflowers87

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:38:37 AM »
I am taking the bar next summer and have decided to take Kaplan... The bar is at the end of July and I am getting married at end of May, which means I have from June 4th -July 28 to study. My question is. If I choose to do the complete Kaplan program, does the program have a definite start and finish time? Can I start at beginning of June and still finish the program? If I go completely online can I watch lectures as many times as I want?
I have emailed Kaplan but have yet to recieve a response. Somebody who has done the Kaplan Complete Program online please fill me in
Thanks
Chris Flowers

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:57:50 AM »
You mention others poor study skills. Isn't the bar a minimum standard test? I thought the curve had nothing to do with it.

I passed, but thought barbri was quite disappointing.  Poorly organized and written materials, they totally missed what would be on the actual bar (they said don't worry about y, study for x and didn't mention z at all - the bar was mostly y and z) and poor quality lectures that were more gimmicky than substantive. Thankfully, the standards for passing are pretty low and most other takers were equally badly prepared.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:58:46 AM »
interesting fact, Kaplan bought Barbri. It's the difference between shopping at Kmart or Sears now.

I am taking the bar next summer and have decided to take Kaplan... The bar is at the end of July and I am getting married at end of May, which means I have from June 4th -July 28 to study. My question is. If I choose to do the complete Kaplan program, does the program have a definite start and finish time? Can I start at beginning of June and still finish the program? If I go completely online can I watch lectures as many times as I want?
I have emailed Kaplan but have yet to recieve a response. Somebody who has done the Kaplan Complete Program online please fill me in
Thanks
Chris Flowers

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:39:06 PM »
I had a good experience with Barbri, but I used another course to supplement.  Bar exams are not curved, but if 75% take Barbri and respond to a certain question in a certain way, it is unlikely that the examiners are going to ignore the response.  In the bar exam, I would rather be with the pack than right. 

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »
you think that the bar examiners would make a wrong question correct just because people marked it that way? ???

I had a good experience with Barbri, but I used another course to supplement.  Bar exams are not curved, but if 75% take Barbri and respond to a certain question in a certain way, it is unlikely that the examiners are going to ignore the response.  In the bar exam, I would rather be with the pack than right.