Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Did anyone else feel this way in their second year?  (Read 492 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Did anyone else feel this way in their second year?
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »
I feel like in the second year of law school a lot of the excitement went away. I really thought the first year was exciting I don't know how else to describe it.While  2nd year I just felt sick of being in a classroom. It almost felt mind numbing and unchallenging in my 3rd semester.  I was curious if other people that graduated felt the same way after there first year or if it is a problem with me. 

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Did anyone else feel this way in their second year?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:07:09 PM »
My 2nd year was also my least-favorite.  I didn't have my incredibly awesome section mates, section leader or as stellar a professor lineup.  By 3L things were rocking again - got the classes I wanted, found my niche again and life was good.  For me the Olin Fellowship and law and econ stuff really suited me well along with rigorous courses like fed courts :) I'd have done the fellowship and started my own writing earlier had I known how awesome it is.  Don't know if you'd have the same experience, but perhaps doing some of your own scholarship is the way to bring back the fun :)  Many of my friends also seemed to really enjoy getting involved in journal/law review work (I didn't particularly care for that type of work). I think the key is to get involved beyond going to classes - scholarship, journals, student bar association or some sort of activity of that nature is good.
HLS 2010

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 01:51:46 AM »
Yea I think your right getting more involved is that answer. I am going to get into Moot Court and make my load a little more difficult. I only took 13 units 3 of which was a pass/fail class this semester. I worked 15 hours a week, but I felt like I had WAY TO MUCH FREE TIME. As is evidenced by my constant posts on here. There was no time for anything first year and I liked it that way. I need to make life a little harder on myself and get more involved in activities.  There are plenty of opportunities and I am not taking advantage of them that has been the real problem. It is also good to know someone else felt the same way.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
It took my first year to get the real hang of it. 2L is way better for me. I guess I could see how fairytales could get ruined and bubbles popped but I went into it knowing what to expect for the most part as far as "the reality" of the legal field goes so I didn't get shocked with tinkerbell didnt use fairdust to make me fly. I just learned to get used to the sacratic and irac and it took a few exams to get used to it, and my first grades shook the cocky undergrad out of me, but once I pulled my head out of my rear(2L) it has been great. Why wouldn't it be once you get the hang of it?
This is the dream people, don't like it then wake up and pull up some overalls and steel toed boots. Those are the options.