Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre-med to pre-law... Can I get into law school with these extracurriculars?  (Read 2523 times)

randombetch

• View Profile
Hello all,

I've been pre-med all throughout college (I'm in my 3rd year now as an undergrad), and let's say I decided tomorrow to go for a JD instead of an MD.

Would it be possible to get into a great law school if I did well on the LSAT and had a great GPA from a top university, even though none of my extracurriculars are related to law at all?

Here are some of the extracurriculars I have been involved with:

1.   3 summers of bench research (no publications)
2.   2 semesters of independent research in Economics (my major)
3.   2 semesters of neuroscience research
4.   Volunteer EMT-B for 2 years responding to 911 calls
5.   3 years of hospital volunteering
6.   Other volunteer work mainly dealing with the underprivileged
7.   Physician shadowing (haha, doubt I'd even put this on a law school application)
8.   Worked as a chemistry lab technician 3 semesters
9.   Tutoring (paid) econ, SAT reasoning, SAT Math level 2, 3 semesters, 3 hours a week
10.   Pre-Medical Society executive committee
11.   Ski/Snowboarding team and snowboarding in general, 2 years on the "team"

My GPA is definitely in range for top 5 law schools, but I have no idea what I'd score on the LSAT (but I'm very good at logic reasoning and passage analysis). I scored 99th percentile on the MCAT though (too bad it won't help at all for law school), so hopefully if I take 35 practice LSAT's or so I'll be able to do well? Would my chances be good as long as I do well on the LSAT? Am I at a significant disadvantage?

Thanks...

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
The answer is yes your GPA could be in basket weaving it makes no difference. If you have a 4.0 in Religious Studies from Timbuktu State and pull a 180 you would probably have a shot at a top 5 or so school. Lawschoolnumbers.com is a great site to look at to help you in determining what LSAT score will get you into a particular school. Law school admissions is ALL about the numbers and maybe 10% at most regarding soft factors etc.

randombetch

• View Profile
Hey, thanks for the advice!

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Bigs is right - law school admission is all about GPA and LSAT score.  That said, I will give the schpeel I can't resist giving, and which folks are sick of hearing... think long and hard about going to law school.  Ask yourself why you are doing it - if it is not a burning passion of yours then think about it.  Law school is VERY expensive, schools are pumping out record numbers of attorneys, it is a difficult job market, the profession is changing, and law is no guarantee of a 6-figure salary.  You could potentially saddle yourself with $150K or more of debt just to get the JD.  Think about it, do a lot of homework, and especially do a lot of soul searching.  Do not get sucked into the law school myth of a glamorous profession with lots of money. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yea there is that. It is not a guarantee, but again I will say the same response. What profession right now is not changing & not a difficult market? This guy was giong to med school and with the health care bill etc I am sure the profession has DRASTICALLY changed. For better or worse so that is just that one thing to consider. If you go to a top 5 school then you should be alright. If you get solid LSAT socre/gpa, but not outstanding take scholarship money.

This site is also very good to get a more realistic look at job prospects. http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/ it gives salary info etc and it would be great if U.S. News or LSAC or somebody would follow the model they propose. Only Ave Maria School of Law has stepped up according to them.

Hamilton is right that school is not a guarantee, but again I do not know what is. Maybe the OP can guide me in the direction of a career path that is guaranteed money, glamorous, easy to get into, and I will enjoy every single second of it. In my 25 years of life I have not met to many people that say I am underworked, overpaid, and it was incredibly easy to obtain the job. Hamilton is also right that you should go to law school to be a lawyer. There is no other reason to go. If I hear one more kid at my school say I know I am not going to be a traditional lawyer, but some kind of international jetsetter who does spend time in a courtroom or do legal work I am going to scream. Go to law school to be a lawyer. Med school to be a doctor. Police Academy to be a cop. It is all pretty logical, but for some reason many incoming & current law students think you should spend 150k and 3 years of their life to get a law degree and have no desire to be a lawyer. Shockingly, that does not end well and those type of idiots go on to make websites like jdunderground.

cindy66

• View Profile
Hello all,

I've been pre-med all throughout college (I'm in my 3rd year now as an undergrad), and let's say I decided tomorrow to go for a JD instead of an MD.

Would it be possible to get into a great law school if I did well on the LSAT and had a great GPA from a top university, even though none of my extracurriculars are related to law at all?

Here are some of the extracurriculars I have been involved with:

1.   3 summers of bench research (no publications)
2.   2 semesters of independent research in Economics (my major)
3.   2 semesters of neuroscience research
4.   Volunteer EMT-B for 2 years responding to 911 calls
5.   3 years of hospital volunteering
6.   Other volunteer work mainly dealing with the underprivileged
7.   Physician shadowing (haha, doubt I'd even put this on a law school application)
8.   Worked as a chemistry lab technician 3 semesters
9.   Tutoring (paid) econ, SAT reasoning, SAT Math level 2, 3 semesters, 3 hours a week
10.   Pre-Medical Society executive committee
11.   Ski/Snowboarding team and snowboarding in general, 2 years on the "team"

My GPA is definitely in range for top 5 law schools, but I have no idea what I'd score on the LSAT (but I'm very good at logic reasoning and passage analysis). I scored 99th percentile on the MCAT though (too bad it won't help at all for law school), so hopefully if I take 35 practice LSAT's or so I'll be able to do well? Would my chances be good as long as I do well on the LSAT? Am I at a significant disadvantage?

Thanks...

There's no way of knowing if you can get into law schools without first taking the LSAT. Extra crap doesn't matter..LSAT and GPA matter BIG TIME...Schools don't give a crap that you were on the snowboarding team.