Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FSU/UF/UM Help!  (Read 2786 times)

brittany1111

• View Profile
    • Email
FSU/UF/UM Help!
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:20:09 AM »
I'm from the NY area and am trying to attend law school in FL (and eventually practice there) because my family recently moved there.  I was accepted into UM, UF and FSU and am really having a hard time choosing.  I know the rankings are clear but I've read about so many other factors that seem to give more credit to the lesser ranked schools in this discussion.  Any advice would be appreciated!!!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FSU/UF/UM Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »
Go to Florida or Florida State over Miami. Between Florida & Florida State go to Florida. The cost is a huge factor here because Florida is one of the states that has good state schools. You will become a resident after one year of school and maybe there is a way to qualify for residency by your first year. If you are a resident for all 3 years you will save 78,000 by going to FSU or Florida over Miami. Even if you are only a resident for two years you will save 52,000 over Miami. On top of that Miami has the worst job prospects of the 3 based on law school transparency. University of Florida really seems like a great buy the cost of living is cheap, the tuition is cheap, and they have good employment numbers. You can look at the websites I cited below, but I would definetly not attend Miami over the other 2 unless you really want to live in the city while in school.

Florida In State $14,228 out of state $33,593
University of Florida 50% of all graduates have a reported salary. The other 47% have jobs doing something maybe making millions maybe making minimum wage. The school, LSAC, or U.S. News does not say.
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=florida

Florida State In-State $14,239  Out of State $31,250
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=fsu
25% of all graduates accounted for making a salary. 70% are employed doing we do not know either making 10 million a year or flipping burgers LSAC or U.S. News does not require the info for this.

Miami: $38,012 regardless of whether you are a resident all 3 years.
By far your most expensive option and only 22% of the grads have reportable salaries.
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=miami

brittany1111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 08:57:57 PM »
Thank you so much! I will definitely look into the links you posted right now.  I know UF is "the obvious" choice, maybe I was just getting caught up in the hype of the city of Miami versus Gville.  Thanks again!

ThisisIT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:15:34 AM »
I'd choose UM or FSU.  The UF brand is on the decline, while the other two are on the ups!  All are pretty equal in respect points. Rankings don't really tell the whole store, and FSU and UF are pretty identical in numbers.  FSU is in the capitalm, which will give you a lot of opportunities that you won't have at the other two.  Either way you can't go wrong between the schools, it's mostly a matter of your personal preference.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 02:25:26 AM »
Well UF or FSU is 78,000 dollars cheaper than Miami. The schools are all roughly equal, but I do not see how anyone could justify paying 78,000 more to attend Miami over the other two schools. All 3 of them are fine schools, but paying 78k more to attend Miami opposed to FSU or UF makes very little sense. Unless you have money to blow and want to have fun while in law school. Miami is a way cooler city than Tallahassee or Gainsesville and if you think having a good time is worth 78k over three years there is nothing wrong attending with UM. Unfortunately, 78k is a lot of money and it will probably be even more expensive than 78k because cost of living is higher in Miami than where the other schools are located. If you have rich parents or millions in the bank then Miami is the better choice. If money is a concern then UF or FSU are probably better options. All 3 schools are fine though, but the cost is definitely something to consider.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
Britt,

I am a Floridian (Tampa native living in Pinellas County), and my choices echo what the other posters have stated:

UM is great, but I don;t think the cost is justified vs. UF or FSU.  For what it's worth, I have heard that FSU and UF degrees are
respected state-wide, but UM is really the "big dog" only in the Miami area.

My choices:

#1: FSU (low cost public/in the state capitol for public sector networking)-Tallahassee
#2 UF (low cost public/good school/not much IN G'ville but UF)-Gainesville
#3 UM (HIGH cost private/ONLY with a substantial scholarship offer)-Miami
#4 Stetson (HIGH cost private/Tier 3/local to me/ONLY with a substantial scholarship offer)-Gulfport(near St. Petersburg)
#6 FIU (low cost public/Tier 4/safety choice)-Miami
#7 Florida A&M (BAD rep/low cost/only if NO ONE else will accept me, unlikely)-Orlando
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"