Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-Trad 2.47 GPA/174 LSAT Chances?  (Read 1590 times)

Btdrnks

• View Profile
Non-Trad 2.47 GPA/174 LSAT Chances?
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »
Hello There,

I am a 32 year old prospective law student.  I have a decidedly low standard GPA of 2.47 from Northeastern University, of which the bulk of the lower grades came in the first two years of college.  Within my major I have a 3.3 GPA.  I have been out of school since 2002 and I have been working as a professional geologist for the last 8 years.  I am looking to get into an environmental law program in the northeast.  I have not taken the LSAT recently, however, back in 2002 I scored a 174.  Do I have a reasonable chance of getting into law school?  How much weight will be placed on my work history versus my GPA?

Thanks for any and all input!

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Non-Trad 2.47 GPA/174 LSAT Chances?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:30:40 AM »
First of all, you will have to re-take the LSAT.  Only LSATs taken in the last five years count.  The primary admissions factors have always been and remain your
UGPA and LSAT score.  Beware that your LSAC GPA may very well be lower than your degree GPA.  LSAC counts each any every course you have ever taken, as I understand it.

If you want to check how your presumed numbers stack up in terms of potential school admissions, try the LSAT/UGPA calculator:

http://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx

You are what is called an extreme splitter, if you indeed can achieve another 170-plus LSAT.  You should be able to gain admission to a school in the NE region.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"