Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley with 50% scholarship to MSU with nothing worth it  (Read 2923 times)

sanam

• View Profile
    • Email
Cooley with 50% scholarship to MSU with nothing worth it
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:01:58 AM »
Hi guys I am a 1L at cooley in the top 10% with 3.6 gpa and 50% scholarship, I was wondering if it worth paying the extra $18000 per year to attend Michigan State University Law school as they are not  offering anything. I heard you can not do law review or moot court there and the school is not particulary good to trasferees. Is the name worth transfering for in terms of Job prospects in usa or canada.
THE BATTLE WITHIN

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cooley with 50% scholarship to MSU with nothing worth it
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:56:21 AM »
I think if you are going to stay in MI, then absolutely it would be worth it.  What about Wayne State?  Would be a wash from tuition standpoint.  Folks can argue that rankings do not matter - BS.  When it comes to the regional reputation, MSU and WSU stand above Cooley.

Personally, my broad advice is to reconsider law school, period.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:25:40 AM »
Are you saying he should reconsider law school in general because he goes to Cooley?  Wow so harsh even for a religious ranking follower. 

OP- he is right though with the other schools in MI like WSU and Detroit Mercy.  Both are much stronger regionally and your job chances would be better in MI if you transfer.  I don't think its true that Cooley is a joke, but people like Hamilton are everywhere, including MI firms and won't give you a chance coming out of Cooley.  Good luck and stay in school. Hamilton is a deucher for saying what he said  with the only thing he knows about you is that you go to Cooley.  What a deucher.  Your are top 10%, I doubt he is.  And again, wow what a deucher.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:40:05 AM »
I would try to get more scholarship money out of Cooley. If you can get another 15,000 for the next 2 years out of them stay at Cooley. If they don't give you anything extra then MSU might be better.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
Well, actually finished top 15% and ran into the hiring wall.  Contrary to your assumption, my comment re: reconsidering law school has nothing to do with Cooley.  As I have posted numerous times, considering the oversupply of lawyers, terrible job market, and high cost for law school, I suggest ANYONE not going to a T14, paying full price, and going to law school b/c it seems like the ting to do, should seriously rethink their decision before potentially sinking themselves $150K in debt with a high risk of not being able to pay it back.  If that's douchey, then so be it.

Are you saying he should reconsider law school in general because he goes to Cooley?  Wow so harsh even for a religious ranking follower. 

Your are top 10%, I doubt he is.  And again, wow what a deucher.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
Have you heard of scholarships being this "negotiable?"

I would try to get more scholarship money out of Cooley. If you can get another 15,000 for the next 2 years out of them stay at Cooley. If they don't give you anything extra then MSU might be better.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
And finally, my comments are not made in judgement, they are made based on first-hand experience.  I NEVER said Cooley was a joke - you chose to imply that based on a flawed assumption regarding my post.  I do not base my comments based on judgement of schools ranked lower than T14, I comment based on the reality of how the legal community perceives the products of the school based on the school's ranking - rightly or wrongly.  The reality is that a Michigan grad, Wyne State grad, or Michigan State grad will immediately be viewed higher than a Cooley grad by a prospective employer.  I'm not saying it is right, but it is fact.

Can split hairs between T3 and T4 rankings, but those rankings fairly represent the general regional reputation of the schools.

OP- he is right though with the other schools in MI like WSU and Detroit Mercy.  Both are much stronger regionally and your job chances would be better in MI if you transfer.  I don't think its true that Cooley is a joke, but people like Hamilton are everywhere, including MI firms and won't give you a chance coming out of Cooley. 

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:47:10 PM »
A lucid, intelligent, well thought out response Hamilton.  Touche.

I love you.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »
Oh and yes I have heard of scholarships being negotiable.  A buddy of mine was offered a higher grant amount not to transfer.  He transferred anyway, however.  A smart dean will know that the students are both an obligation and a potential asset to the school.  It will very greatly by school.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 04:08:03 PM »
Yes they are negotiable both me & my friend got more money once we showed we had been accepted through transfer applications.

If you want to be a good lawyer you must remember everything is negotiable. Even when people say we can't budge people always can. Any attorney worth their salt would not stop with a mere statement of we can't possibly budge on this number. Or we never do that for anyone. Everything in life is negotiable.