Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley with 50% scholarship to MSU with nothing worth it  (Read 2828 times)

sanam

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cooley with 50% scholarship to MSU with nothing worth it
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 10:21:17 AM »
any more suggestion? is MSU worth it if I want to practice in Canada
THE BATTLE WITHIN

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »
Canada has a different legal education system.  I don't think you can get licensed to practice in Canada if you go to a US school and visa versa without an LLM.  Either go to a Canadian school or look into Detroit Mercy- they have a duel degree program with the US and Canada.  I looked into UDM because I am interested in Latin law.  They also have a degree program with a Mexican law school.  I can't remember which Canadian school they use for licensing purposes, but I know they can do it plus it's easy to get into and they have a decent reputation in MI.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »
That sounds like pretty good advice. One other thing to Consider is MSU's tuition is 31k, which is 5k a year more than Cooley. 31k x 2=62K in tuition alone for the next two years at MSU. While if you maintain the 50% scholarship you will be paying 13k x 2=26k. So you have to ask yourself is a Michigan State Degree really worth 36K more over the next two years with 8% interest. That is going to add up a lot. Neither school wows anyone I imagine MSU is better than Cooley. I just do not know if it is worth 36K with interest more than Cooley. That is a judgment call. I always think you should get through an accredited program with as little debt as possible. Unless it is an ELITE school. That is only my two cents though.

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »
Canada has a different legal education system.  I don't think you can get licensed to practice in Canada if you go to a US school and visa versa without an LLM.  Either go to a Canadian school or look into Detroit Mercy- they have a duel degree program with the US and Canada.  I looked into UDM because I am interested in Latin law.  They also have a degree program with a Mexican law school.  I can't remember which Canadian school they use for licensing purposes, but I know they can do it plus it's easy to get into and they have a decent reputation in MI.  Good luck.

I'm confused about that statement of not being able to practice in Canada with a US legal education.  If that poster really is interested in practicing in Canada, he/she should really check into this.  I was at Cooley for a year and a significant portion of my 1L class were Canadians who intended to practice in Canada upon graduation.  I never really asked anything about what had to be done, but people do come to the US from Canada to get a legal education intending to practice in Canada down the road (how, I just don't know).   That's a very long way of saying if someone truly were interested in this, they should look it up. 

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 04:49:53 PM »
I too had folks in my class who were Canadian and planned on practicing in Canada after graduation. 

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 08:20:20 PM »
I don't know too much, I will tell you what I know.  I'd imagine that the OP knows more because he wants to practice in Can.  Firstly, Canada makes it incredibly difficult for foreign lawyers to practice in Can with residency restrictions, however, everything varies by province, just like in the states.  Secondly, in the US we get a JD, in Can it's a LLB- two different degrees.  If you went to a US law school they have a bar committee that evaluates your transcript class by class and tells you what you need to make up at a Can school.  Thirdly, and I am not entirely sure of the details, but Can attorneys have an apprenticeship like system where new law school grads and attorneys new to Can practice (even if they have been practicing in the US for 50 years) work under the supervision of a licensed attorney.  Maybe kind of like we do it in the States, but more formalized. 

Can. is mostly a common law country, like most of the US is common law, so the legal systems are similar.  But that's not to say they are not different.  I do know that it is easier for a Can lawyer to practice in the States than it is for a US lawyer to practice in Can.  If Cooley has a lot of Can students they probably have classes which have already been evaluated by the CBA.  That's not to say it isn't easier for Canadians to just go to a Can school if you can get a high enough LSAT score.  When I mentioned UDM I meant that in conjunction with a Can law school you can get an LLB in addition to your JD, thus bypassing the evaluation process and thus not being forced to take more classes after graduation, if you can even get into a Can law school for more courses.  I hope this helps.  I don't plan on practicing in Can (living in Quebec though would be nice, I admit) so my info might not be entirely accurate, just a gist.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."