Law School Discussion

Just took my first LSAT Practice

Re: Just took my first LSAT Practice
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
If I were in your shoes, I would stop taking tests and buy a prep book.  Many people swear by Power Score ( I have never used).  In order to understand what you are doing wrong, there are some basic concepts you need to master.  Things such as what each type of question is (assumption, strengthen/weaken, flaw, etc).  Then tools to use for each one (finding the gap in logic, common flaw types, common wrong answers, etc)  Simply taking tests without knowing what you are doing may end up hurting your progress.

As for you variatin in score, it happens.  The month leading up to my tests, I scored everywhere from a 171 to a 179 (I f I recall correctly, it was 171, 173, 179, 175, 173, officialtestday =173).  So it happens.  By understanding concepts, your score should begin to vary less and less

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:51:35 AM »
Thanks for the help - I just picked up the PowerScore Logic Reasoning book today.

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 12:08:59 PM »
I wanted to suggest the alpha-score online course for grasping concepts. I bought the course last week and it's really helped me understand each concept, practice it and then apply it in practice tests. I'm just starting my prep for the LSAT so I don't know if after I'm done going through this course I'll need a traditional course (it's a self study type course for which you buy a 12 month membership and you can access all materials including 10 tests for around $300) but for now it's helping me understand, which I think it's the first step.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »
You'll probally be ok, but that practice test sounds dusty as hell, it might not "hurt" you, but it won't hurt you in an even better way to go to the used book store and buy a dirtcheap lightly used lsat prep book for ten bucks which is only one or two years old. Thats my advise.