Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is the point of an LLM and how does the system work?  (Read 2442 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
What is the point of an LLM and how does the system work?
« on: November 19, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »
I honestly know nothing other than this is a masters of law. It seems like every LLM student I meet is from another country and I wanted to know if an LLM was only or international students or can Americans do it? I am just curious how it works and how you apply etc. I tried to look for info on LSAC, but it says you need to pay to signup. If anyone has info about them I am curious what they are good for and how the whole system works.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point of an LLM and how does the system work?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:45:43 PM »
Many international students get an LLM because they went to law school in their home countries and obtaining an LLM allows them to practice here.  I don't know all the details on that though.   

I work in tax law so I know many people get LLM's in that field, although most tell me that it is not necessary. I am still on the fence as to whether I should do it or not, I would really prefer not to.   It is my understanding that an LLM in other areas is not really helpful.  I think tax LLM's are so popular because tax is such a broad area that can be rather technical.  It just shows people you have some specialized knowledge. 

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point of an LLM and how does the system work?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
Many international students get an LLM because they went to law school in their home countries and obtaining an LLM allows them to practice here.  I don't know all the details on that though.   

I work in tax law so I know many people get LLM's in that field, although most tell me that it is not necessary. I am still on the fence as to whether I should do it or not, I would really prefer not to.   It is my understanding that an LLM in other areas is not really helpful.  I think tax LLM's are so popular because tax is such a broad area that can be rather technical.  It just shows people you have some specialized knowledge.

^^  This guy nailed it.  LLM is a way for foreigners to back-door into US law practice.  Generally, the only worthwhile LLM for US Citizens is tax from NYU, U Florida - Levin, or GULC.