Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Before considering Toledo Law, some things to think about  (Read 2511 times)

MEMEMEME

Re: Before considering Toledo Law, some things to think about
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
Not really directed at you. Just all of the people who go on about this kind of stuff. But yes, a lot of any academic program involves sucking up. It just does. After my Bachelor's, I did a one year ABA-approved Paralegal Certificate program. I did not connect with any of the instructors because I just didn't even try this time. On the contrary, during my Bachelor's, I was a bit of a teacher's pet and at least sometimes received high grades I didn't deserve on work alone. I remember distinctly in my Estates, Wills, and Trusts class at my paralegal program I aced the midterm and know I got at most one wrong on the final. This program had plus and minus grades and I was shocked that I received an A-. It wasn't a horrible grade, but the whole course the instructor did not delineate how the course grade was earned. e.g. he didn't state for example, 30% for the final, etc. It was based on him and it was crap. In any case, I recommend from here on out you ask for help you don't need and remember, there are far many more unintelligent people than intelligent people. I stuggle on a faily basis, unless I am in the company of other intelligent people to relate. But you have to realize that people who are average or even dumb are intimidated by intelligence but still have the ability to undercut you because your level of intelligence makes them feel stupid. It's a game and you have to play the game. I agree that hardwork and intelligence in an academic program should be what earns you top grades, but it's often not the only factors. Professors in general like to hear themselves talk and I also suggest you pay attention to their little side tangents or lecture topics that seem to excite them in particular. Because in the end they will say "Yay, he/she paid attention to my awesome theory of _____ in the law." I hope this helps and I also would not give up because your ranking isn't the best. Do what you have to, join organizations inside or outside of the school and show your abilities. Often, intelligent people have a way of not knowing that their thoughts are so beyond the average population that they are confusing their audience when they speak. Play the game.

homegr0wn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Before considering Toledo Law, some things to think about
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:45:31 AM »
I am not sure if this was directed at me. It sort of reads that way, but then again, if it was then you really didn't understand most of what I wrote and you assumed quite a bit to reach your predetermined conclusion.

What I posted was my experience at Toledo Law. Some of it is certainly "negative crap", but not all of it. It is hard to put a positive spin on the plague of rats terrorizing West Toledo. But in all seriousness, I made a poor choice in coming here specifically, and attending law school in general. I thought being smart and working hard would be rewarded. It didn't in my case. Maybe it does for you, but it didn't for me.

From my experiences here, what separates the bottom 75% from the top 25% is what I outlined above. If you fit those characteristics, then law school is probably a good investment...or if you can finish middle of the pack but have connections or would qualify as a diversity hire. By all means, attend. You will have options if you graduate.

I have options now, but only because I recognized the sunk cost after 1L grades posted and started developing other skills to make myself attractive outside the profession.

TTToledoXXX is the credited respondent in this thread. As a Toledo 1L who transferred to a T20-30, I can tell you first hand that people at Toledo are wasting their money. How many firms attended Toledo's OCI? How many hired students? The answer is 3 and 0!
The legal market is tough and Toledo should be closed down. Students at Toledo are not getting their ROI. By transferring to my non-T14 school, I was able to garner 6 offers from great law firms. Even the top Toledo student on LAW REVIEW wouldn't receive that many offers. Toledo is just not respected.
TTT