Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What if you found some  (Read 663 times)

doovyhan

• View Profile
    • Email
What if you found some
« on: November 17, 2010, 07:43:37 AM »
Okay so what happened was...

1) I was fretting as days went by...because I knew that I needed to get most of my apps done by now

2) I submitted a few applications....BC, BU, and GW, namely

3) realized that I submitted a wrong version of the personal statement. Of course I did it thru LSAC, cannot change now.
What was exactly wrong? one of the sentence included "the the field of law..." two "the"s in a row. such a stupid mistake, I know. I sent a corrected version to
other schools, just not the three above. god damn it.

4) As far as I know, I should call the admission office immediately and send the new copy of my PS via mail, right?

If step 4 is wrong, please tell me... And How negatively will this incident affect my admission? I feel terrible for messing it up like this...

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What if you found some
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »
I really have no idea.  My guess is no one will read it closely enough (if at all) to notice the extra "the." 
HLS 2010

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »
BikePilot is probably right. It is unlikely that a school will spend much time reviewing your personal statement. Law school admissions is about one thing and one thing only your numbers. If you have two minor errors on your personal statement the admissions committee probably will not even notice. They review thousands of personal statements and they probably can't remember 90% of what they read. So they will look at your numbers and as long as your statement was coherent you should be fine. I imagine your statement was coherent if you are stressing out about two minor errors. The Supreme Court has typos and grammar mistakes in their judicial opinions. So adding an extra "the" does not make you a complete moron and I am sure you will be fine. :)

gbuddy70

• View Profile
    • cleveland taxi
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 11:28:21 PM »
Best website, iím keen on it!

writetrackad

• info@writetrackadmissions.com | (888) WRIT-TRK
    • View Profile
    • Write Track Admissions
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:52:27 PM »
Doovyan:

This, ironically, is a common dilemma.  But your instinct are correct, immediately contact the respective admissions committees and advise them that you will be sending an updated personal statement that should be read instead of the initial copy.  I would attach a brief addendum candidly explaining the oversight as well. 
_____________________________ _____
Write Track Law Admissions
Admission Expert | www.writetrackadmissions.com
info@writetrackadmissions.com
Get Noticed, Get In