Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bar Exam  (Read 791 times)

bluedaisy514

• View Profile
    • Email
Bar Exam
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on whether to take a bar prep program for the NY bar.  I just passed the FL bar and I plan to take the NY bar in Feb, but I'm not sure if I should sign up for a bar review course or study on my own.  I have the materials for the MBE and will be getting the NY study materials (including lecture notes) from a friend.  I don't know if I'm missing out on anything important by not taking a course... but bar prep tuition is just so expensive.  When I studied for the FL bar, I watched all the video lectures but found them to be a waste of time.  All I really need is the study material which I'm getting for much less money.  However, everyone I talk to says the NY bar is more difficult than the FL bar and that I should sign up for a prep course.  Any advice?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Bar Exam
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »
I didn't take NY, but I can't imagine you would need to take another prep course if you have all the books.  You already know how to study, and you have all the information needed to pass.  Like you, I found the lectures didn't add much overall.

Just curious, why get licensed in NY?  You planning to move there?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:31:16 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on whether to take a bar prep program for the NY bar.  I just passed the FL bar and I plan to take the NY bar in Feb, but I'm not sure if I should sign up for a bar review course or study on my own.  I have the materials for the MBE and will be getting the NY study materials (including lecture notes) from a friend.  I don't know if I'm missing out on anything important by not taking a course... but bar prep tuition is just so expensive.  When I studied for the FL bar, I watched all the video lectures but found them to be a waste of time.  All I really need is the study material which I'm getting for much less money.  However, everyone I talk to says the NY bar is more difficult than the FL bar and that I should sign up for a prep course.  Any advice?

What did you score on the MBE? That might change how much you need to master NY state-specific subjects to pass.

I passed the NY bar last July. The only really hard part is the volume of material. NY tests more subjects than most states do. You can probably pass with just the conviser mini review from Barbri and a book of practice MBE questions to brush up on.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

allyk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »
I give leeway to established posters who post links to commercial sites. However, I do not do so for first time posters who appear to be spamming. Next time gets a ban.

-Nealric

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:50:06 AM »
Same question but for the CA bar. I'm taking the NV bar in July and planning to take the CA bar in February. I know there are a lot of differences between the two in Family Law etc. but that they remain often the same in other respects. Should I shell out for another prep course?

esq08

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:03:55 AM »
I think the answer depends on you and how you did on the first exam you took.  Naturally the MBE is the same, so if you did great on it the first time around, then chances are you will be ok, but make sure you do a lot of practice questions still.  As for the essay portion, speaking for New York, some areas have heavy distinctions.

What did you take the first time around?  If it was a commercial bar review course, then I would say you wouldn't need to do that again.  What you might want to consider is a tutoring company that will be able to focus on what you need help on the most. 

NY has plenty of options in the tutoring world (insert shameless self-promotion for www.LawPreps.com), many of which can work with you remotely, even if you are still in Florida.  I'm only kidding about the shameless self-promotion.  If you are interested I would love to hear from you, but my honest suggestion is determine what you think you need most, decide if you think you can do it on your own, and do your research.  The bar review industry has a lot of options, pick the one that is best for you, or that can set the course up around you and go forward from there.

What I definitely suggest is at a minimum getting New York specific outlines from somewhere.  Like I mentioned above, certain subjects have major distinctions in New York.

Good Luck!!