Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I persevere?  (Read 602 times)

Ridethewalrus

• View Profile
Should I persevere?
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:25:47 PM »
Honestly,I know this question has been asked a dozen time in the last month.  But I appreciate anu sincere responses given.

I never wanted to go to law school.  Ever since I was a child I looked down on the profession.  I don't hold thaw same views, but I still do not want to be a lawyer.  There seems tone specialties in which I would certainly enjoy myself, but they are extremely hard to to be part of.

I can move back to my previous career and hit six figures immediately.  But, barring a 10-20% miracle, I would max out just above six figures.  I'm tolf attorneys do much better.f

What would you do?  I really don't know. 

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I persevere?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:45:39 PM »
drop out.  Life is too short to do something you do not want to.  Law is no guarantee to employment, much less 6 figures.  If you hate the law, you will lack the drive and passion necessary to drive yourself to financial success.

my humble opinion

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 06:49:40 AM »
Are you in law school already?  If not, I recommend reading Blum's E & E on Contracts.  I am preparing for law school by reading several primers, including that one.  The nuances in contracts law, esxpecially consideration, could drive a sane person over the edge unless they truly enjoy law

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
Don't do law just for the $$$ 'cause the $$$ aren't great for most who do law. Your chances of making significantly greater than 100k shortly out of law school are much, much less than 20% (could go up or down depending on your particulars).  Also, your post isn't terribly coherent, that doesn't bode well for a successful legal career.
HLS 2010

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 01:37:44 PM »
If you never wanted to be a lawyer, look down on the profession, and still do not want to be a lawyer. Then do not go to law school or continue to waste time & money for something you do not want to do. There is no guarantee of money in the legal profession and no contract will be handed to you for getting a J.D.  The best case scenario from what you have described is that you will have spent 100k & 3 years of your life for a chance to get a job you never wanted in the first place.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
Seems like a flame to me.

Nevertheless, if you are already in law school, go get that non-legal job right now and once you have the job and are sure you will be getting the salary, drop out of law school.
That's my opinion.

I apologize if this is rude, but if you aren't in law school yet, you are kind of silly to even consider it with your attitude.

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:14:46 PM »
So, why did you go to law school in the first place?  Seems stupid.  If you dislike the field so much, drop it.