Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it Possible to Transfer in Spring if I'm in Bottom Half?  (Read 1814 times)

PHOEBESIOUX

• View Profile
Is it Possible to Transfer in Spring if I'm in Bottom Half?
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
154 LSAT, 2.781 GPA, President of an org, URM (black female), very respected on campus by faculty (my face is on the cover of the school's mag that gets sent to all the prospective students, including a 10-sentence bio and a quote from me)

What are my chances of getting into GSU, if any at all? I know it's hard to transfer in the spring when you're in the bottom half, but my brother just died and I would like to be with my family.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it Possible to Transfer in Spring if I'm in Bottom Half?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:08:10 PM »
I don't know anything about GSU and don't know where you currently are attending.  I'd guess that going to GSU from the bottom half of yale would be pretty easy, going to GSU from the bottom half of any school ranked lower than GSU is going to be hard no matter how popular your face is ;)

Very sorry to hear about your brother.  If nothing else, maybe take a semester off to be with the fam, then return to law school once things are settled down a bit.

HLS 2010

PHOEBESIOUX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »
Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

I'm transferring from a school that has the exact same ranking as GSU, and is in Miami

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
Most schools will let you take time off, particularly if you have a good excuse.  You'd just not got to school at all, sort out the family stuff, then go back to your Miami school when you are ready.  Talk to you registrars office.
HLS 2010

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:22:22 AM »
Most schools will let you take time off, particularly if you have a good excuse.  You'd just not got to school at all, sort out the family stuff, then go back to your Miami school when you are ready.  Talk to you registrars office.

Phoebe -

Agreed.  Take the time off.  Family is more important, and no one will hold this against a transfer application (if well discussed).  As to your question, BikePilot is, as always, quite right: the standard in most transfer decisions is steep.  There's also a book mentioned elsewhere that might help, Art of the Law School Transfer, with stats for various schools showing a general likelihood of acceptance.

Be well, and best of luck,

Thane.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 01:16:15 AM »
Why transfer if you are in the bottom half of your class? You should worry less about your schools ratings and more about the fact that you are in the bottom half of your class. Someone who graduates from even an online lawschool is lightyears ahead of someone who flunks out of harvard.

souxiesoux

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »
Last time I checked, the "bottom half" is not "flunking out". Flunking out means you fail all, or most, of your classes. The GPA was 2.781, which is pretty average when it comes to law school.

Get your head out of the clouds, kid. All enrolled law students are not magically in the top half. And in this day and age, when it comes to getting a job, if you aren't in the top 10%, it's more about who you know - even if you are in the top half.

And if you actually READ the intro question, you would see that the reason for transfer was not to go to a better ranked school - the transfer was completely lateral. It was about a death in the family, a-hole. Go read a book or something.