Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted at Cooley....HELP  (Read 3258 times)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted at Cooley....HELP
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 05:27:54 AM »
Law firms and judges care once again how the school is ranked in a particular region.

I think lawyers and judges probably already have an idea of how schools stand in their particular region, and that they are not looking to USNWR for guidance on this.

I tend to  look at the positives not the negatives in terms of the legal marketplace.  Look at it from this standpoint:  Society will probably become more and more litigious as the years go by.  History has proven this to be true.   Next,  as the middle class people no longer enjoy jobs such as 25 dollar an hour janitors or non skilled laborers making 50k a year-  these middle class and also lower income people will certainly want to become claimants against someone to pay the bills (goverment, former employer, insurance company).  Lawyers will certainly have to be involved in either of these situations.

Even if this highly speculative scenario actually does unfold, all it means is that there will be a group of people who don't have money to pay legal fees trying to get legal services.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Framboise

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »
the white rabbit, that's what I mean.  Law firms both know and have some say in where law schools rank in general (I don't mean the exact number, but they know how the schools that feed into their market compare.  Like I've said before, in Philly lawyers probably don't know or care that Temple is exactly #72 (I think I accidentally wrote 75 before).  They just know that it's far better than Widener and they have a strong preference for Temple grads, even though Temple is way outside of the T14.  So when I say that lawyers care about how a school is ranked in a particular region, I don't mean that law firms in Philly know that Penn is #7, Villanova is #67, Temple is #72, Rutgers-Camden  is #80, and Widener is Tier 4.  The ranking they care about is 1.Penn (although they're a flight risk unless they can prove they really wanna stay in Philly), 2. Temple, Villanova, 3. Rutgers-Camden, and 4. Widener.  Each school has a completely different reputation, though to be honest I can't tell you what the reputation of Rutgers-Camden is.  It could be on par with Widener, honestly, but hey, Camden is right across the river.

So yea, I don't think law firms are wetting themselves with excitement over the impending release of the new US News Rankings, but they naturally know how each school stacks up against the others in the area, because it's their opinion of those schools that influences the ranking.  Although, someone might notice that I listed Temple an inkling ahead of Villanova.  They are definitely peer schools, ranked pretty much next to each other, even though Villanova is ranked ahead, I'd give a slight edge to Temple.  But the schools are also completely different.  Private and on the Main Line or public, uber-cheap, and deep in the city.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 08:37:21 AM »
the white rabbit, that's what I mean.  Law firms both know and have some say in where law schools rank in general (I don't mean the exact number, but they know how the schools that feed into their market compare. 

Right, but they probably don't LOOK at rankings lists to figure this out. 
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

avhudson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 01:17:15 PM »
Me and my boyfriend were only accepted at Cooley also. Grades are hard to come by depending on your section. For me, I was taught by the Founder's son and the old Dean of the school...HARSH..., but my boyfriend had great teachers who taught him thourghly who in return taught me! We both ended up with decent grades but he got a transfer and I did not. We attended the Lansing campus, nice school and library but boring city. Cost of living is low tho and East Lansing is a blast, if you know where to go. Cooley has a lot of bad ratings out there, most of them true, but if you work hard and kiss a lot of ass, you can get a job and make a decent grades. Teachers have lots of experience there, but not all of them want to be bothered by. Find one teacher that loves to talk and you are set tho, b/c they can tell you the ins and outs of the legal world. Good Luck