Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted at Cooley....HELP  (Read 3366 times)

she88

• View Profile
Accepted at Cooley....HELP
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »
Please don't use this post to tell me how awful Cooley is and that I will never a get a job! I will be working for family, so I just need to graduate. I've been accepted at Cooley with a 50% scholarship. My fiancÚ, who has lower numbers than I, was also accepted. It's looking like this is the only school that is going to accept us both. If you are a Cooley student please tell your opinion of the school and which campus you are at. I'm from NC and have never been to MI, so have no idea what campus to pick. If you aren't a Cooley student but have heard things from friends who are, let me know what they had to say!
Thanks!

3.3 155

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted at Cooley....HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »
Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids are actually very nice cities by any standard.  If you can complete the program at one of those campuses, do it.  Ann Arbor has an upscale college-town vibe b/c of University of Michigan.  I would take AA over GR.  If Lansing and Rochester can be avoided, then avoid.

I hope your fiance is not paying full price - if so, you guys are getting ripped off.

she88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »
Thanks for the info. Why would he be getting ripped off by paying full price? Private schools in NC are about $2000 more a semester.
Thanks!

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
Don't know anything about Cooley, but Ann Arbor is a nice town, doubt you'll find nicer in MI.  There's a little spill-over from Detroit that's unfortunate, but overall a nice place to be. The weather will be a bit of a shock to you coming from NC.
HLS 2010

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:05:19 PM »
Close to $900/credit hour?  That is robbery for any school not a T1.

Thanks for the info. Why would he be getting ripped off by paying full price? Private schools in NC are about $2000 more a semester.
Thanks!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:29:42 PM »
Yea that is steep and it is steep at any school. Not that Cooley is a bad school, but if you are going to move out of state have you considered some state schools? Those are the best deal out there and they would be cheaper with no scholarship than a half-tuition scholarship at Cooley. Some schools to consider with your numbers might be FIU, CUNY in New York, I think Buffallo is in-state as well and there are a whole list of others. You have to pay out-of state for the first year, but you can claim residency and get a very reasonable tuition rate the next two years. A lot of these in-state schools are around 10K a year, which is a very reasonable tuition rate. I am sure you can succeed at Cooley and you can succeed at any law school, but the cost is a huge factor to consider. Just a random suggestion if you haven't considered it. Well good luck to you.

JDGuy86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 12:22:02 PM »
First, congrats on both of you being accepted!

I am attending Cooley's ann arbor campus in the fall, and I think Cooley is a sufficient law school. There are a lot of good programs, flexibility in scheduling, scholarships, and alumni everywhere. Thousands of people wouldn't continue to attend it if Cooley were as bad of a law school as some claim.. just in my opinion. Like everything it's going to be what you make of it.

I would also suggest the Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids campuses. Ann Arbor would be a more collegiate environment, and Grand Rapids gives more urban/city opportunities.

CharisP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 12:12:17 AM »
...have you considered some state schools? Those are the best deal out there and they would be cheaper with no scholarship than a half-tuition scholarship at Cooley. Some schools to consider with your numbers might be FIU, CUNY in New York, I think Buffallo is in-state as well and there are a whole list of others.  You have to pay out-of state for the first year, but you can claim residency and get a very reasonable tuition rate the next two years.
First of all most states, including Florida and New York, do not recognize residency status if a student's residency is based on his or her enrollment at the state school.  That's why most people who want to take advantage of residency tuition discounts generally put off enrolling in state school for as long as a year after moving to the state.  Also, notwithstanding that these are tier 3 or tier 4 schools, their standards for admission are significantly higher than Cooley.  If her fiancÚ cannot qualify for a 25% scholarship at Cooley he doesn't have the UGPA and LSAT scores to get into any of the other schools.  That's why Cooley can afford to charge what it charges.  In terms of admission standards, it, or Tier 4 schools that charge as much as it does, are really the only option for him.

Btw, resident tuition at SUNY Buffalo is actually more expensive then Cooley if you take her scholarship into account.  It's very possible that CUNY will see a significant tuition increase for residents as well because the state is in desperate need of additional revenue to cover its budget deficit which is currently estimated to be over 10 billion dollars .

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »
I know that I'm new here so my word won't count for much, but you need to understand that in 99 out of 100 cases, going to Cooley is a BAD IDEA.  It's the epitome of the degree mill, a 4th tier bottom-barrel school that accepts anybody and passes nobody.  They have one of the toughest curves in the nation, and nearly a quarter of all 1Ls leave or flunk out every year.  Even if you do manage to graduate, it likely won't help you find a job in an oversaturated legal field in a bad economy.

Cooley will give you an $100,000 J.D. to hang on your wall and not much else.  My cousin went to Cooley against my advice, and spent the next four years on the couch and working as a barely-paid legal clerk.  Don't fall into the Cooley trap. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »
I am hesitant to believe any school flunks out 25% of their students. It goes directly against the logic of them being a degree mill. Every school wants your money, but you need to be competent enough to pass the bar. If 100% of students appear able to pass the bar I cannot see any school getting rid of them, because doing so will cost them money. Many people are not ready for law school or as you said choose to leave. I go to a tier 4 and everybody said they flunked out 25% of their students on this and other sites. I was freaked out about this, but then I went to my schools handbook and looked at the first year curve and believe it or not there is no requirement to fail anyone. In fact my school does even have F's and you a professor can give a D to only 5% of the students maximum. You need a 2.15 to stay in school, but everyone in any class can get a C+ or higher. There I was believe 20% attrition of my first year class 10% due to transfers then there were several others that I noticed who simply did not put the work in. Maybe some of the ones that were academically disqualified did put the work in, but just did not have the competence to pass the bar. I just do not see any school ever forcing students out it makes absolutely no sense if everyone is competent. If someone is not competent the school will kick you out as they should.

In regards to finding a job I have known people that found employment from Cooley I even worked for a guy that went there. He was pretty doing well for himself. Cooley is certainly not anyone's first choice, but it is ABA approved and give you the basics to succeed. If you go to Cooley or any tier 4 or any school period for that matter and expect anything to be handed to you then you are in for a long haul. It sounds like your cousin found a job certainly not ideal, but it was a job and can I ask what he/she was doing before? I also have never been to Michigan, but I was under the impression that anyone in every field was having a difficult time finding a job.

The bottom line is Cooley is not a great school, but you can succeed. I think anyone with one functional brain cell would choose a T14 school over a full scholarship at Cooley. However, if you know what you are getting into and bust your ass it is POSSIBLE to have a successful career as a lawyer from Cooley. If you really want to be a lawyer go to law school and pass the bar. It is pretty much impossible to be a lawyer unless you attend law school. So go if it is what you really want to do, but it is best for anyone considering law school to expose themselves to the field first and do everything they can to minimize debt etc. Also realize that no matter where you go there are a lot of lawyers out there and it is a competitive field. The name of your school generally will not help you at all considering 75% of ABA schools are not tier 1. Even if you go to a tier 1 school you got to make money somehow and you can't just say I went to so and so school give me a paycheck.