Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preparing for Intellectual Property [IP] Law?  (Read 2315 times)

artfuldodger23

• View Profile
Preparing for Intellectual Property [IP] Law?
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am a senior in high school who is about to commit to either George Washington University, UT Austin, or Boston University.  My question was how do I prepare myself to becoming an IP Lawyer? should I major in engineering or science? and which is the best and most secure category of IP Law? Is it trademark, copyrights, trade secrets etc.?

Any help appreciated!  :)

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing for Intellectual Property [IP] Law?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »
If you want to get into patent law, I believe an engineering, physics, or natural science degree is required.  Your GPA will be very important.  So pick one of the above majors that you will do best in.

MeganEW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
If you want to get into patent law, I believe an engineering, physics, or natural science degree is required.  Your GPA will be very important.  So pick one of the above majors that you will do best in.
Exactly.  Top IP attorneys also often have graduate degrees in hard sciences.  I think it might be better to ask yourself what you're interested in in addition to law.  If you love both science and law, go the IP route; if you like finance/econ, go the traditional corporate route; etc.
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
The patent bar is the only bar that has specific requirements re your undergraduate degree.  Look them up, make sure you meet the requirements. You can do IP law without passing the patent bar, but you are somewhat limited (IIRC you can't do patent prosecution).  No idea which specific area is most secure and I'm quite sure no one knows what the job market will be like 8yrs from now when you are ready, stick with what you like best. If you enjoy what you study and do, you'll do well at it and there will always be room at the top no matter what field you chose.  Shoot for a 3.9+ gpa in college, else your ability to get into a top law school will be hampered (which will then make getting a top job much more difficult).
HLS 2010

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:34 PM »
Electrical Engineering for IP.    /thread