Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.98GPA from Emory and 154 LSAT  (Read 2067 times)

divaesq

• View Profile
    • Email
2.98GPA from Emory and 154 LSAT
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:23:53 PM »
Hello, I am wondering what folks think of my chances with these numbers.  Also, I am 32, a single mom and have been a public school teacher for 5 years.  I am alo working on my MA.  So what do you think are my chances for a Top 100 school?

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2.98GPA from Emory and 154 LSAT
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:20:11 AM »
Let me be frank.  This is just my opinion, so take it as food for thought, or a train of research for you, as you evaluate your decision.  One question you should answer for yourself: do you have a burning passion to be a lawyer and has this been a lifelong dream, or is this something that came up that seems like it could be a good idea?  If the latter, you really need to reconsider the decision.  Do a ton of research on the legal market, hiring trends, and salaries - do not buy into the idea of the law school dream and certainly do not take law school employment stats at face value.

I think the prospect of going to law school as a single mother with those numbers could be a huge mistake:  (1) probably wont do great on scholarships, (2) probably will be going to a T3 or T4, (3) potentially looking at spending upwards of $100K for the degree, and (4) as I post ad nauseum, employment prospects for you will be grim.  That is a big risk to take when the life of your child can be impacted.  MORE IMPORTANTLY, law school will rob you of 3 to 4 valuable years with your child helping him/her grow and develop.  I went to law school as a married father - the entire burden of raisng the kids shifted to my wife and my kids got used to me not being around, that hurts.  The stress level is incredible when you try to balance kids and law school - I cannot fathom a single mother trying to do this.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:53:27 PM »
So what do you think are my chances for a Top 100 school?

A cursory glance shows that you'd be an auto-reject at pretty much anything in the top 80 or so.

https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/UGPALSAT/UGPALSAT.aspx

You'd be lucky to get into a top 100 school and like Hamilton said, you'd be paying sticker price.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
Hello, I am wondering what folks think of my chances with these numbers.  Also, I am 32, a single mom and have been a public school teacher for 5 years.  I am alo working on my MA.  So what do you think are my chances for a Top 100 school?

I knew some people with numbers similar to yours who made it into top 100 schools, but it's hit and miss.  I think you'd be better served by going to a T3 on scholarship in a region you want to practice.