Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring when starting in the spring  (Read 1798 times)

boconn01

• View Profile
Transferring when starting in the spring
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:00:10 PM »
I was registered to attend Thomas Cooley this past September, but ended up deferring it for one year because of personal reasons, so now I am supposed to start September of 2011.  I emailed admissions and asked if it were possible to begin classes this spring semester, and they replied with a yes.  I was wondering, however, if I started my first semester of law school in the spring and wanted to transfer later on, how hard would that be?  Is it possible to start in the spring, take summer classes, then transfer for that fall semester?  I know most law schools want transfer students to complete their entire first year before accepting them.  How would this work with beginning Thomas Cooley during the spring semester?  Would I be better off waiting until the fall semester?  The more answers, the better!  Thanks!

Bethany

kjw5029

• View Profile
Re: Transferring when starting in the spring
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »
I actually just transferred out of there last semester.  Some schools accept transfers after a single semester, but those schools are in the minority.  Most schools require 2 semesters and will transfer a max of about 30 credits.  Most schools ask that you send your transcript in after your second semester once you get grades.  This occurs before the summer ends.  I don't believe you would have adequate time to get summer grades and transfer, especially since Cooley is on a trimester schedule (what I mean is, you will have your spring grades with plenty of time, but your summer grades will not be released until it's too late).  Why don't you go to school in the spring, take the summer to assess your situation, and then transfer after next fall?  That's what I would do, but I'm unfamiliar with your exact situation. 

As a side note, that school was a sweat shop.  The teachers were all very kind, but there are so many students which creates immense competition.  I did alright there, but it wasn't at a small expense.  Be sure to be dedicated to leaving before you incur the debt associated with a year of law school. If you're willing to stay there, than it's all good.  I would just be wary of going there expecting to transfer and then have circumstances arise which preclude me from doing so. 

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring when starting in the spring
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »
You can always try to transfer in the spring.  This limits you school choices though and the window to get everything submitted in time is very small.  Look at the poster who is transferring this spring.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."