Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please advise, LSAT 140 and GPA 3.42  (Read 5440 times)

wdprice1

• View Profile
Please advise, LSAT 140 and GPA 3.42
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:03:54 PM »
Hey everyone,
I need some advise. I took the LSAT recently and I bombed it. I have been getting 140s consistently on diagnostic LSATs and was enrolled in Testmasters twice.  I still managed to score a 140 on my actual LSAT. My over GPA is 3.42. However, I have a pretty diverse background. Here it is:
USMC 5yrs, Honorable Discharge 1999
Worked in communications industry as a govt. contractor for 5 yrs.
Moved to Escrow for 4 yrs. During this time I was going to school full-time and working full-time. Managed to get a 2.53 my first year in community college. Then the company with which I was employed closed in 2008. I then decided to go back to school full time.
2nd year in community college I had a 4.0 GPA. I also earned my Paralegal Certification from UCSD Extension in 2008-09. Transferred to UC San Diego in 2009 to finish undergrad.
I am currently a 4th year student at UCSD. my UC GPA is 3.56, Poli Sci Major GPA is 3.78. I have provost honors for Fall Qtr 2009, member of Golden Key Honor Society, and Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society.
EC: volunteer driver for Non-profit delivering meals to those inflicted with HIV/AIDS (50hrs), volunteer No on 8 San Diego HQ as Data Entry clerk (30 hrs), Co-founder student org "Students for Marriage Equality" to gather signatures to repeal Prop 8 (35 hrs), worked with Wellness committee on UCSD to start a weekly Alcoholics-Anonymous meeting on campus.
I am also a gay man who is a recovering alcoholic.

Anyhow, I know my LSAT score won't get me into a top school, but what are my chances of getting into Cal Western or Southwestern or something like along those lines? My dream school is Hastings but with the LSAT score I currently have my chances are super low, I know.  I am kind of confused and unsure if I should not apply or just send out applications anyhow. I am eligible for a fee waiver so I am not out $1000 for applying to 15 schools.

Any advise is welcome. Thanks!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please advise, LSAT 140 and GPA 3.42
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:46:10 PM »
lawschoolnumbers.com is a great site that allows you to look at what schools your numbers will get you into. Unfortunately, with a 140 there are not that many options at ABA schools. You can see that on lawschoolnumbers.com, but if you have fee waivers you have nothing to lose by applying. What you should do is apply right now and let the schools know you are retaking the December LSAT and hopefully you will nail it. The majority of schools do not average scores anymore and simply take the highest score. If the December LSAT does not go well then you can tell schools you are taking the February LSAT. So you have 2 more chances for this cycle. The soft factors you have are good, but the reality is schools care about one thing and one thing only your GPA/LSAT and you will see how true that is on lawschoolnumbers.

If your LSAT does not improve the other option you have is attending a CBA school like JFK, Cal Northern, Santa Barbara, and there are list of others. These schools will only allow you to sit for the California bar, but if you do not plan on moving they are a cost efficient way to get a J.D. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful and good luck to you.

oleg1244

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
With a 140 LSAT I don't think you would be able to get into any ABA law schools at all. I don't mean to be discouraging but that is very very low. I would retake the LSAT if you really want to go to law school. The point of the LSAT is for them to see if you can handle the material that law school throws at you. With a 140 LSAT I can almost guarantee there wouldn't be a single ABA school that would accept you no matter how diverse your background is. Retake the LSAT!

Regards...
LSAT: 158
Current Undergrad GPA: 3.44

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:39:18 PM »
No point re-taking until practice test scores are up to where you need them to be though. Is there any one section of the lsat that really troubles you?  Any sections you consistently do really well on? imho the logical reasoning/reading comp/comparative sections are a half-decent proxy for law school stuff - law school is party just being able to read quickly, understand the material quickly and understand basic logic re that material. There's also a lot of wrote memorization in law school and that's not tested on the lsat (but that's all that's tested on the bar).

Also, I'd recommend trying a different test prep company - nothing wrong with testmasters generally, but it isn't working for you.  Kaplan's program imho is particularly strong for getting a little below-average scorers to a bit above average and might be worth a shot.

Have you worked out what you want to do after law school?  Options for big law and many government positions aren't great unless you manage to do pretty well at a pretty highly ranked school (not likely without a drastically higher lsat score).
HLS 2010

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »
Not trying to be harsh - just clear.  Law school may not be for you.  Think long and hard before spending more than $100K at a T3 or T4 where your employment possibilities as a lawyer will be tough - especially if you do not finish near the top of your class.  It is a grim employment market for lawyers out there - do your homework and look at the downside.

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 02:20:57 PM »
visit the cleo scholars website..it's targeted to students of color but is open to everyone. They are accepting applications now
just google cleo six week summer institute
good luck

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
Try to figure out why you're doing badly on the LSAT, work on the problem, and retake.  Otherwise, there's always Golden Gate or Cooley.

oleg1244

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 05:03:12 PM »
Golden Gate? Golden gate would not accept a 140 lsat.
LSAT: 158
Current Undergrad GPA: 3.44

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »
No unfortunately for the OP I do not think any ABA school would accept a 140. Possibly Appalachian or Cooley, but even those are stretches with a 140. The CBA option might be there, but as everyone has said it is probably best to retake the test. Despite the criticism of ABA schools it is still somewhat difficult to get into them. Many people are not capable of getting a 150 on the LSAT. People who get 170s say it is easy and it is a learnable test, but the fact of that matter is not everybody can get a 170 and people who get 170's have the genes to do it. It would be like me saying to everyone in my law school hey it easy to a 360 dunk you just need to workout a little. The majority of them could not ever do a 360 or just do simple one handed dunk, but I can because I was born with the genes to do it. The test is somewhat difficult and keeps many people from getting into even tier 4 law schools. At the end of the day if you are getting a 140 on the LSAT you may not simply have the necessary tools to pass the bar or do well on law school exams. Not to say it can't be done, but if you really studied your a** off and got a 140 it may not be in the cards. If it is something you really want to do keep trying, but I don't think any ABA school will take your application seriously without at least a 150. Hopefully, you can do it though, but law school is not for everyone.   

JDGuy86

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 01:17:58 AM »
one other option could be religious or hbcu affiliated schools if either of those factors are relevant to the op.. worth looking into