Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How ridiculous is U.S. News  (Read 825 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
How ridiculous is U.S. News
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »
US News and World Report lists Golden Gate University School of Law as one of the nation's 73 most diverse accredited law schools. That is an honor apparently how do they even rank that what does diversity even mean to them?   Not to mention we are one of the top 39 public interest schools. It just blows my mind this information was in our law school news and I had to say something. U.S. News is so unbelievable. Is there anything they will not rank? The 43rd tallest student population, the most students from Portuguese decent, the most blonds, only difference with those categories is they can be objectively measured not that U.S. News would even take the time to gather actual stats to confirm them. I am not sure what constitutes diversity to U.S. News or being a top public interest school, but they come forward with yet another bogus and unfounded ranking.

MEMEMEME

Re: How ridiculous is U.S. News
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Hey, if they ranked Portuguese descent then whatever law school I go to will have the highest population of those: one.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 11:43:43 PM »
That is probably not going to happen. U.S. News would not be willing to put in the effort necessary to determine objective facts. To determine Portuguese descent they would need to look through school records and find actual facts.  That is way to much work they are much more interested in releasing unfounded & vague rankings such best public interest school, most diverse student population, or 50th best alternative dispute resolution program. If they get into measuring actual facts they might have to do some kind of reporting and fact finding. No media outlet anywhere is interested in releasing facts or doing any kind of reporting.

MEMEMEME

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »
Unfortunately though, people take it seriously. For example, a school in my metropolitan area hired a dean who took the bar passage rate from 68% to 98% in a few years but according to the president of the university, they fired him because the school's ranking was still poor after his few year tenure. I'd tell you which school it is, but I am applying there as an option, so you know how it is...

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »
Yea well I would rather have passed the bar. Opposed to failing the bar and having the honor of saying I went to the 38th best school. Two of my friends from Hastings are graduates of the 38th best school, but they have not passed the bar after 3 tries. No they do not get a pass from the bar because they attended a tier 1 and no they have no found work as attorneys, because they have not passed the bar.

If a dean took bar passage from 68% to 98% and they fired him, because the rankings did not go up. People should be killed that is so retarded. What I expect a law school to do is give me a bar admission ticket and give me enough knowledge to pass the bar. Succeeding is up to me and if a school got 98% of the people to pass the bar it is doing it's job.

MEMEMEME

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 02:34:58 PM »
I agree- there was a huge uproar at the school and the former dean claimed that the president had a personal vendetta against him and that was the REAL reason. Who knows what it was, but after complaints by alumni, students, etc. he wasn't rehired. I think one of the reasons the rank is low is because of not enough library volumes. Well, whose fault is that? Oh well. Bottom line- low ranking or not, with this school in particular, it had a good reputation a few decades ago and its alum hire alum. That's how it goes. So, yeah, who cares. I don't want to work for big law anyway. I'd rather swallow a box of nails than be treated like scum by ReedSmith and have no family or life.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »
Yea ranking matters somewhat, but at the end of the day Alumni will probably help like people from their own school. If and when I ever make it as a lawyer I would like GGU students. Hastings grad would like a Hastings grad etc. People are people, but there are a few elite schools. The sad thing is you are either ELITE or not, but people get wrapped up in 47th etc. 

I don't know growing up I dealthwith so many B.S. basketball rankings and saw so much disappointment and it is the same sh** all over again. Some private company trying make a buck like Maxpreps(high school sports)  or U.S. News giving b.s. rankings that misleads people into thinking they are something they are not. Or that people are going to do things for them based on being the 68th best. It is really sad these type of companies in all facets of life make these type of rankings and mislead young kids into thinking things will work out a certain way based no their obscure rankings. Then people get fired or change their lives based on these rankings that are based on absolutely nothing it is just sickening to me.