Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Funding for the Bar Exam  (Read 1972 times)

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Funding for the Bar Exam
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »
So I'm a 3L graduating in Spring and have no job prospects lined up at all. In light of that, paying for the bar exam is going to suuuuck. So here's my question: Are there any other sources of funding out there besides loans and firms that will possibly pay for Barbri and the Bar process? Any suggestions on where I should start to look?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Funding for the Bar Exam
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:22:18 PM »
I'd skip barbri and study on your own.  I did barbri and it was a huge waste of $$$ imho. Maybe live with the parents and work at starbucks part time or something.  I don't think anyone other than a lender, employer or family is going to give you $$$ though. 

best of luck!
HLS 2010

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:21:09 PM »
I agree with BP - Study for bar on your own, maybe spend $1500 or so on Micromash (what I used - it worked) or other self study, live at home.  Also, take advantage of any bar prep that your school offers for free.  BEST study aid I had was a compilation of past state bar exam questions and answers compiled by the school - see if yours has that or if you can get them from the state bar.  I worked full-time, started studying for Feb bar in late December.  Took a week off before the bar to cram and passed first time - no barbri or prep courses, just the Micromash self study.  If you do well in school, the bar really is not that difficult.

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:31:47 PM »
I probably disagree.  At this point you most likely already have lots of debt accumulated, and the extra couple of thousand to pay for barbri won't break the camel.  On the other hand, failing the bar exam will drastically reduce the value of the JD you paid all that money for.  You are so close to the finish line, job or no job, and this is not the time to start skimping.

Sure, you could pass the bar exam without barbri, but why not get the best available help?  The bar exam is not something you want to gamble with.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 11:44:17 PM »
I just can't imagine that barbri is the best, it was truly a pitiful course. Lectures totally worthless and print materials poorly done.  I suspect a person would be better off sourcing quality print materials from somewhere else and doing it that way.
HLS 2010

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:57:25 AM »
These things are subjective, of course, and I barbri is the only bar prep course I have ever taken, but I found barbri to be completely helpful and an essential part (heck, the only part) of my bar exam preparation - both times.  Maybe other courses are better, and I have no point of comparison, but I certainly thought barbri was good.  Very good - certainly far better than most CLE I have ever done.

On a more objective level, however, I might suggest that barbri is the best simply because it is the most used.  There is a certain statistical safety in cohorts.  Most people pass the bar exam, and most people use barbri to prepare.  This will tend to pull you towards the modal score, which is a passing score.

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 11:38:47 AM »
Thanks for the weigh in guys. I guess I was just hoping to find some sort of grant out there for this type of stuff. I'm definitely taking BarBri as I don't want to chance not passing. I have a Kaplan free bar course thanks to being a Kaplan Rep, but I don't want to use it until I'm taking the CA bar. Kaplan doesn't have a full bar course in my first state so I wanna get the most bang for my buck and cash in my free course for a state that does have a full course in.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »
Sounds good.  Don't forget to stash some $$$ aside for a post-bar trip.  You'll want one and its a great way to have a bit of fun before you start working long hours. 

I competed in The US's longest off road race then rode the race bike down into baja mexico for a bit of R&R

HLS 2010

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:59:20 AM »
Very cool. That sounds like fun. I'm looking into a eating and biking trip in Argentina for the post trip. We'll see if that is possible.  Hopefully I'll have a job lined up by then so that I won't be freaking about the money, but a post-bar trip is definitely going to happen.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »
That sounds awesome!  Mexico is as far south as I've gotten so far.  I really need to learn spanish and take a couple of months to ride to TdF at some point  ;D

The job thing is tough, I didn't get confirmation of my start date 'till I was almost to Nevada so was pretty well committed by that point. Life might have sucked if the start date were pushed back a bunch, but thankfully we started on time.   
HLS 2010